We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lifeguards

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Lifeguards

Are there lifeguards at Surfer's Beach in Eleuthera? I am thinking no, but just wondering...

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lifeguards

You were right ... no lifeguards. Anywhere.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lifeguards

Nope, they're all in Exuma...guarding the swimming pigs!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lifeguards

If you're in Point.. south side.. and you see a white redhead lady I'll be lifeguarding.. only because my kiddos are on summer break from school and they love swimming! ! I accept tips! ! Haa haa! !

And dahermit.. hilarious! !

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lifeguards

When I found out you could surf there, we were considering a visit in the winter, to satisfy my surfing son, who is not into just laying around the beach, like my daughter, husband and I are! But I won't be able to relax if there are no guards. Thanks for all the info and humor everyone!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lifeguards

You're welcome ... but consider coming anyhow. I can't even remember when anybody drowned here for lack of a lifeguard. You'd be more likely to get beaned by an asteroid.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lifeguards

...or a whelk...

how old is the son?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
344 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lifeguards

I have to respectfully disagree about the safety issue. It's all relative to the skill level of the swimmer (or the surfer, as the case may be). I've been in the water at Surfer's beach on a somewhat large "swell" - maybe 6-8 foot breakers and witnessed a somewhat inexperienced (with the area) fellow put himself in the wrong egress spot where it's all iron shore and really get dashed pretty bad on the rocks by the shore-break. Bloody, skinned knees and elbows and maybe even a sprained ankle. He was lucky it wasn't a lot worse. Me and one other guy happened to be in the right place and were able to drag him out. If he was there solo he might not have been so lucky. Saw him that night at Elvina's (yeah it was some years back) and he looked like one of those ad's for an accident lawyer, all wrapped up and leg up on a chair..

I'm not suggesting that we bring on David Hasselhoff and company, only saying that it can get dangerous and most importantly *you need to be self-sufficient* .. Know your abilities, and if you're not comfortable with the conditions then don't go in the water. Nobody is going to come to your rescue.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 23:37
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lifeguards

My son is 23, and a lifeguard himself. BUT- being a lifeguard doesn't help you if you injure yourself or get knocked out on coral or rocks, etc. And if most of the surf areas are rocky, that can easily happen.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lifeguards

Give a shout out to Tom Glucksman at bahamasadventures.com - He knows surfers beach very well. I believe He also provides surf lessons.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 03:23
10. Re: Lifeguards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16