We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Article in Boat US magazine

New Jersey
Level Contributor
352 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Article in Boat US magazine

Here's a link to an interesting little article in this month's issue of Boat US magazine which talks about the old US Naval Base:

boatus.com/magazine/…eleuthera-bahamas.asp

you may have to cut and paste it into your browser.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 18:20
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

Hey Jersey diver

Thanks for posting , i often wondered why Eleuthera was chosen for such a base !

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

Yep..and ghb airport was their landing strip and where they stored their planes.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
352 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

Roger that Tanya. Mile long runway for the big birds.most of it not even used anymore . Interesting to hear the history but glad the us got out. Funny little reference in there about the us not being able to renegotiate their lease ... Not sure I'm buying that one!!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

With being a veteran myself. . I love knowing the island I came to call home has such historical features. I love teaching and showing my kids what the barracks look like.. they're little sponges they soak up all the knowledge.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

Check out

www.projecteleuthera.org/ruins

for info on AAFB and NAVFAC Eleuthera

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

FYI Naval Base - The first building to the left past the entrance & guard post has some unique spray art on two of the walls. When you walk in the end door take a few steps and turn around. One is to the left and the other the right - both about 8'x 10'. Very colorful but also very eerie! The one on the right is a mermaid with some nautical signs. The left one is a demon (very disturbing) with about 30 different bottles on the floor with wax drippings, and some with near spent candles. The later disturbed me enough to delete it from my photo gallery. Very spookie!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

I saw the murals when i was there a few weeks ago, anyone know if they were done when the base was in operation or are they more recent additions ? they kind of look like they have been there a while

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

I don't believe there is anything in the S.O.P. for the Navy and abstact bizarre art. It looked to me that the building was in a state of disarray before the murals appeared. Also seems as if there is somthing ritualistic with mural on the left with the candles. Also I neglected to mention a lot of empty rum bottles scattered on the floor by that mural.

9. Re: Article in Boat US magazine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera