We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

january weather

RI
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
january weather

hello, we are considering a trip to eleuthra sometime in January. Is it warm enough, how's the water temperature and conditions? is it safe to snorkel the atlantic side? is it very windy? buggy? anything else we should know? any suggestions for a private cast-way cottage for 2? thanks. also from FLL is there a preferred flight to GHB? cold in n.e.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: january weather

The water temperature in January seems cold to me but the air temperature is fine. We usually go in March and/or April for the best weather. It is safe to snorkel the Atlantic side, but not on windy days when it can be quite rough. Most of the good snorkeling is on the Atlantic side- the other side tends to be shallow and calm. There are always no-see-ums especially at dawn and dusk, but deep woods OFF helps keep them away.

We stay at a place called Seaview cottage and it's great- but I doubt that you'd find availabilty this close. (We booked months ago for March) You could try VRBO and see if you could fine something that suits you.

For flights, the best one I've found is Lynx Air. Stay away from Bahamas Air! Continental flies into GHB as far as I know, and they are fine. It's about an hour and 15 minutes from FLL to GHB.

Have fun!

South Carolina
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: january weather

January weather in Eleuthera is unpredictable. If it's warm in Floriday, then it's warm in Eleuthera. If a cold front dips as far south as Miami, it's going to be cool and windy in Eleuthera, with rough seas. This Thanksgiving, the nighttime temperatures were in the 50's and daytime temperatures were around 70 degrees. It was extremely windy and very cool and really not ideal swimming weather. If the sea is rough, it's not safe to snorkel in the Atlantic unless you find a cove w/a reef break. James Point has a beautiful cove and you can usually snorkel there even on rough days. You shouldn't be bothered by bugs if you stay on the Atlantic side. Also, TwinAir and Lynx fly from FLL directly to Eleuthera. Have a great trip!

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: january weather

I got back 48 hours ago - The local folks said a cold front was coming, so they put on sweatshirts...65 was like arctic there I guess. (The hottest day was about 85, the coolest was 65...One night did get to about 60, but mainly due to a shift in the winds.)

Amen to the Deep Woods - I went one day without it while in a hurry to get to some fishing and paid dearly - Every other time I used, it, you couldn't tell there were any bugs at all.

While the local folks kept saying it was cool out, we were in the water everyday...the temp is cool, but takes a moment to get used to. We snorkelled 5 days in the Atlantic, and 2 on the Caribbean. You have to go to the beach at Cocodimamas - Just south of GHB Airport, turn in where you see the three colored houses (Salmon, green and yellow) - There's only a few things in the water to see, but great to see just the same - the south end of the beach has a coral feature that had a decent amount of fish and a cuda...

The trip was so good, we've decided that any month is a good month to go...So, the next trip will be a february...

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: january weather

We go to Eleuthera in Jan. Usually it's in the 80's in the day and 60's at night. There are little critters called no see-uns They bother some people, some they don't. I must be one they bother because I had over 100 bites on my legs. As for accomodations, we stayed in a house at North Palmetto Point. The water temps are great. Our entire family including three grand kids went. It was heaven on earth (to quote my wife). We rented a car for the week. We flew in on Continenal from Ft. Lauderdale. Hope you have a great time. I know we did. There nice breezes most of the time.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: january weather

Average water temp. in Jan. is 71 degrees. It's a good idea to take a wetsuit top if you want to stay in the water for long periods of time because you do get cold after a few minutes.

6. Re: january weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera
Recent Conversations