We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Cancelled - Help

South Africa
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Accommodation Cancelled - Help

Hi there,

I've posted a few times on the Exuma forum and everyone has been so helpful - and once again, I call on your knowledge of the island for some help.

My boyfriend and I are headed to Exuma on 5th January 2018 - 10 January 2018. We're both students and have saved up quite a while to afford this trip. So we booked and paid for AirBnb accommodation that was right on the beach so we wouldn't have to pay to rent cars or do activities because we'd be right by the beach, but now this morning I have received a message from our AirBnb host saying she's cancelled our booking due to "residual damage from the hurricane"

I've looked at other accommodation and its really pricey for students.

Does anybody know of accommodation, AirBnb's or anything that is close to (if not on) the beach and relatively cheap.

We paid US$510 for the 5 nights

7 replies to this topic
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation Cancelled - Help

Yikes that sucks! I didn't think Exuma had any damage. It's very tough to find a place for $100 a night then you have to add on VAT (tax). I always stay in Hartswell at Exuma Vacation Cottages. They are about $125 a night. There's not a beach, just mangroves which I happen to love but you can use her kayaks and kayak over to Moriah Cay and have a deserted beach all to yourselves. It's about 15 minutes from town though.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 14:59
Houston
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
216 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation Cancelled - Help

You might consider Hideaways. They have units for about $100/night (up on the hill) although it will be high season.

Not a great beach right there, but Jolly Hall is walking distance (like 3 minutes) and it's excellent. They have onsite restaurant (Splash) and a shuttle into town every few hours.

South Africa
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Accommodation Cancelled - Help

Thank you so much for the replies - I'm checking out Hideaways to see what's available for us.

Thanks again for all the help :)

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
318 posts
4. Re: Accommodation Cancelled - Help

Don’t know any places that had any significant damages that could not be fixed by January. I find this hard to believe. That simply sucks!

South Africa
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Accommodation Cancelled - Help

I agree RayannsEx. The most likely scenario is that she overbooked her accommodation and we were the unlucky ones that she cancelled

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
318 posts
6. Re: Accommodation Cancelled - Help

Me too thinks that the place was overbooked!

Exuma, bahamas
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Accommodation Cancelled - Help

I just PMd you as I have a unit in your pricerange, that will be available soon. The sister unit is already booked during those dates, but I do have an AirBNB listing for the booked unit you can look at.

Make sure to report the cancellation to AirBNB as well!

Reply to: Accommodation Cancelled - Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted