We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Francis Resort-anyone?

East Coast
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
St Francis Resort-anyone?

Okay, one of the posts recommended St Francis resort. They seem pretty nice in the emails. As I mentioned in a previous post I am travelling alone and looking for peace and quiet. Can any of you fill in the details for St Francis Resort? Can you eat in the room, if you choose?

Is it difficult to get to from the airport? I would imagine there is no need for a car-i.e. that its all self contained.

How are the rooms? the beach? etc. Can someone looking for a bit a quiet and privacy get along there?

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments!!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Francis Resort-anyone?

St. Francis is only accessible by boat. Taxis are readily available at the airport and you should take it to Georgetown where you can catch a ride over to Stocking Island. St. Francis is just opposite Georgetown, about 1 mile across the harbor. The property is spread from the hurricane hole/harbor side of Stocking Island to the ocean side. The beach is beautiful.

I would imagine it is pretty quiet. Although the restaurant and bar can get lively, the rooms are far enough away that any noise shouldn't bother you.

KC
Level Contributor
142 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Francis Resort-anyone?

Morpion, if you want solitude then St. Francis might be a great fit for you. Gill and George are very friendly and guests pretty much get whatever they'd like. Breakfast will be brought to your room each morning around 8:30 and I can't imagine they would mind if you placed your order in the restaurant and took it to your room. They are very accommodating!

Our room was very comfortable and the bathroom was roomy as well. There's a small deck off each room which overlooks the beach on the ocean side.

I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant to stay at the St. Francis due to lack of information that I was able to find, but things ended up wonderfully!

When you get to the airport in Georgetown, you will take a taxi to the dock (right behind the market) where George or their son will take you to Stocking Island. There are stairs, so hopefully getting around via foot isn't a problem with you. The resort seems to be located about in the middle of the beach on the Atlantic side. We walked down each way to the very end and never saw another person. Be sure to look for Sand Dollar Beach and take a small hike up the sand path to the Salt Monument for great views. A boat rental at Minn's (about $140 per day) will give you some freedom to explore the area, but also be sure to take the sea kayaks at the St. Francis to explore the immediate area and get over to Chat 'N Chill.

Have a great time! It's very relaxing, no pounding of music from the disco, no crowds of shoppers from cruise ships, just lots of friendly people who operate on "island time".

Beth

3. Re: St Francis Resort-anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 04:16