We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Exuma

memphis
Level Contributor
133 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in Exuma

We are staying at the Grand Isle Resort in June for one week. It seems renting a car is a desirable option. Does any one know how much it costs, and where would you want to drive?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Exuma

Try looking into Airport Car Rentals and Don's for rentals up in that part of the island. Shore to Sure is down past Georgetown towards Little Exuma, a bit of a hike. It's been awhile since I rented but I remember it being about $550 +/- for a week in a smaller Toyota Corolla.

If you are looking to stay around Grande Isle you can head to CocoPlum and Runaway Beaches, and the beach at 3 Sisters. Rolleville is quick trip away. Barretarre is also a fun diversion. In the other direction you have Tar Bay, Hoopers Bay, Georgetown, the beaches in Little Exuma, and a couple of restaurants in between. Take a look at the some of the other forums here and you'll lots of beaches and restaurants to visit!

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Exuma

My recollection is that cars are about $65-$70 a day. You can contact Don's at the following email address:

donsrentacar@hotmail.com

Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Exuma

Stray,

We will be at GI in June as well. I spoke to someone from the resort and she mentioned that they could have the car delivered for $75 per day. Just an FYI in case you didnt need the car all week.

Roland

Granby, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Exuma

We will be on Exuma next week and I reserved a car (Toyota Corolla) with Airport Rental Cars for $440 for the week. They have a website but I just called to reserve. We are staying on Tar Bay.

memphis
Level Contributor
133 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Exuma

We won't need the car for the whole week. We will want to relax and enjoy all the resort offers. Who am I kidding, I am going to have to blast my husband out of his beach chair, and hide his book.Do you all drive at night on Exuma?

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Exuma

you can drive at night, no problem. (Remember it is the British system so you drive on the left). However, Exuma does not have a lot of night life, so there aren't a lot of places to go at night.

Exuma, Bahamas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Exuma

Daer Stray,

Dons Auto Rental phone number is: 1-242-345-0112 or Airport Auto Rental-1-242-345-0090.

They will deliver the car to the hotel for you and you can return it to the airport rental agencies when you drive yourself to the airport to leave.

Recommend renting a car the last of the few days you are here. Tell them Esther sent you!

Have a GREST EXUMA experience!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in Exuma

Just a word of caution about renting a car. Your US policy likely doesn't cover any accidents or damage to your rental car, and some agencies won't deal with them even if they do. If they offer additional coverage, you might want to take it, unless you pay by a credit card that offers loss/damage coverage.

We rented from Airport, declined the coverage and paid by American Express Gold. The car was damaged and I called AMEX and learned I was covered. I still had to pay a deposit upon returning the vehicle beacause Airport said they wouldn't deal with 3rd party insurors, but AMEX will hold the charge and take over the claim. Thank heaven for AMEX!

memphis
Level Contributor
133 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in Exuma

Great to know. Thanks

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in Exuma

I just rented a Toyota HiLux Surf, which was a forerunner to the 4 runner from Thompson's. They left the car at the airport for me and I dropped it off at the airport. It was just the perfect vehicle, as side roads are mostly tracks cut from coral. The vehicle was RHD which I like in left hand countries. They charged $600/week. You can google search them, they have a web site. They also have smaller cars.

Be advised that on Exuma cars (like everything else) are a bit different from what you may be used to, in this case, much older and used than what Hertz might rent. But the vehicle was just fine.