We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian in Exuma

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian in Exuma

I am going in a few days and will survive just fine. Any ideas about eating things other than hamburgers, conch, grouper, and lobster? I realize that those things sound wonderful to most people (including my family) but not to me. So any suggestions are more than appreciated.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

Most (but not all) of the restaurants you go to will have good salads and possibly a vegatable dish for you to choose from. Exuma does not have a lot of native produce, so I can't recommend a local bean or vegetable dish.

ChatNChill on Stocking Island has a nice cabbage salad/slaw type dish, peas and rice and a fresh made conch salad the you might be able to get without the conch.

Where are you staying?

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

Peas 'n rice is made with bacon. You can ask that it be made meat free, but don't be surprised if you get a nonplussed look in return.

You should also be aware that a substantial amount of Bahamian baked goods are made with (pork) lard, such as Bake-rite. This is certainly true of Johnny Cake and Bahamian bread, and it even makes its way into things you wouldn't think of at all, such as delish Coconut and Benne cakes, both of which are fried in lard. Lard is also the ingredient in most pie crusts, so it's unlikely that your duff will be completely vegetarian.

Aside from cole slaw, the typical veg. side dish is three-bean salad (out of a can). If you go during the summer, you'll have access to a limited number of tropical fruits (mangoes, bananas, pommegranates, dillies, sea grape) but not much more than that.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

Splash at the Palm Bay Besch Club has a pretty good selection of salads, and a veggie quesadilla. Cheese pizza is pretty good there. As long as you aren't vegan, you can make it work.

Baked macaroni & cheese is big on the island, it didn't seem to have any meat or obvious lard in it.

You might ask about the peas and rice - - every place does their's a bit differently, perhaps without bacon.

I bet if you go up to the Four Seasons, they would have a decent selection of meatless (but still expensive!) entrees.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

David, thanks for correcting gme on the rice and peas dish. I should have guessed it was not totally vegetarian.

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

Not really a correction :) Most other regional varieties that I've had actually are vegetarian (and omit the tomato paste, too), but for some reason, every time that I've had peas and rice in the Out Islands, it's been made with minced bacon (and usually a dollop of Bake-Rite, too). I just LOVE peas and rice, and wish I could get a good can of Sawyer's pigeon peas in Canada.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

Well it all worked out just fine. Thanks for the suggestions, some of which I missed because I was there. Yes, Splash actually has a good veggie burger too.

But I broke down and after 9 years of eschewing everything animal I found myself chewing on a few conch!

What a wonderful place Great and Little Exuma is on this planet!

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

Good to hear you found some good vegetarian things to eat.

8. Re: Vegetarian in Exuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 01:17