We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

We just came back from Sandals Whitehouse and booked another trip for next year at the Soon Come Back desk. They told us that it's interchangeable for other Sandals resort. The weather at Sandals Whitehouse this time around was a bit colder than what we normally experienced. I was sitting on the beach wrapped up in towels for 50% of the times. Water was mostly murky all the way until our last day (it was perfectly clear as we were packing to leave... how sad). Many postings on Emerald Bay cautioned about the water activities being unavailable, some slow/bad services, etc. Our main concern are the transportation to get to and back from Exuma and the temperature. This chain of islands has been deemed to be the islands of perpetual June..... in my dictionary, it means 70s :) Did anybody ever experience 80s around here?

Also, please do share your experience for the air transportation from Nassau. Flights seem to be very limited. I don't want to waste 1 vacay day on getting to the destination. :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

If you're worried about weather temps, I would suggest you avoid the months of December through February. I think wind is a always a factor since it faces the eastern unsheltered side of the island. We were there in late Oct./early Nov. and had temps in the 80's most days and it was windy. A cold front and tropical storm Tomas passed by on the last day and the temps were in the low 70's and it was chilly with the wind.

We want to go back at some point, but would probably choose April - July based on our research.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

I agree with the previous poster. If you are worried about air/water temp. you should wait to visit until mid-March through mid-May when the weather is pretty sunny and dependable. You will experience temps in the 70's and 80's in January and February, but the likelihood of a strong cold front coming through is increased at that time as well, which could bring cloudiness and breezy conditions for a couple days.

As far as air travel - there are options on American (business jets) from Miami, Ft. Lauderdale has service to GGT on prop planes with Continental. Delta also flies to GGT from Atlanta on business jets a couple days a week.

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

Another option for transport when coming from NYC is Jet Blue direct to Nassau or any carrier to Nassau and then Sky Bahamas to Exuma. At less than $200 RT to Exuma Sky is a fair deal.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

7 mile sailing gives very good Exuma info on a regular basis. I would do some weather research on line as to the winds in March and April which I did before my trip. That is why I went in late May. From reading tons of trip reports it appears that it can be still windy in March-April. If you are like me and like to spend a lot of time on the beach 70's and 20 mph you may still have that towel around you. I say the perfect time is May before the summer rains, humidity, and hurricane season. Yet the water is warm and clear.

pj101754
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

We have been to three Sandals in Jamaica at the last of March and the weather has always been perfect. We went to Sandals Royal Bahamian and changed to the first of May because we had heard the water was cold in February thru April. We are going to Sandals Emerald Bay May 1-9; will post when we get back how the weather is. Can't wait!

2BNUSVI
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

Been to Great Exuma four times...all in late March. I can't imagine a better time to go there than this time. Maybe we are lucky, but we never encountered strong winds, storms, etc during our times there. The highs are in the high 70's - low 80's and there is little humidity. It does get a little "cool" during night time (high 60's) but to me, that is perfect.

We are going back for the Regatta this year which is the last week of April so it will be interesting to see the difference in weather conditions from that of late March.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong from mid-March to mid-May.

Brian

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
627 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

Agree with above posters. We've gone to the Bahamas at the end of May and mid-October and have had great weather but heard it can be cooler during Nov-April time frame.

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

Hello!

How was your trip to Sandals, Emerald bay in May?

I am considering this trip during the same time this year and I would love to hear from you!

-Simone

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

We ended up going to SEB at the end of June. The weather was very nice, the water was very warm, and the color of the water was unbelievable. Never seen prettier water anywhere else in the Carribean. My only reservation was that it was quit windy, especially if you were trying to sit on the beach. The resort is actually very nice and intimate. The room was adequate. For those heading to SEB, you may want to bring bug spray. Sand flies weren't big issues for us, the bigger one was those big green flies. We never ate on the Barefoot due to the green flies. It got to be unappetizing at some points.... This year, we want to try something different and decided for the Royal Bahamian.

South Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is the best time to go to Sandals Emerald Bay?

Would love here all about your trip. Planning on going end of April or May 2014. Have fun. Would love to hear about your room category and the resort in general.