We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exuma crime wave?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Exuma crime wave?

While everyone says Exuma is so chill and peaceful, we had the unfortunate experience of having our rental home entered and robbed. The doors were locked- apparently someone snuck in through a window. It happened on a Sunday when we were out on the boat we rented. It makes me wonder if criminals are preying on tourists who they know will be at the Chat and Chill for the Sunday BBQ? People said, "this never happens on Exuma", but I wonder if that's really the case? A month later, the police response is non existant. It does not seem like a crime anyone really cares about. Apparently, we're just another group of dumb tourists. I heard last fall, someone stole $10,000 from right out of the police station..... I'm not saying, Im just saying..... be careful.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exuma crime wave?

So sorry to hear that! Where was your rental home located? What all did they take? Just curious, as we Love Exuma and hate to hear of this kind of happening.

We had heard on our recent visit in March that one of the web cafes had recently been robbed.

Hopefully these situations can be handled appropriately.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exuma crime wave?

I am also sorry to hear about this. We've had things taken in the past at our home as well, but when we lock the doors and windows we've never had a problem - lesson learned. And yes, your experience with the police is, unfortunately, typical of what we experienced.

Please don't take my next commment as trivializing your experience, because it definately put a damper on your vacation, but as you look through other island forums you'll see that theft happens on all the islands in the Bahamas/Caribbean region. I wouldn't call it an Exuma crime wave. The term crime wave is better used to describe what happens in United States' cities.

Your advice about being careful is so appropriate. Don't totally let your guard down, even on vacation.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 14:31
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
883 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exuma crime wave?

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

Yvette Rolle, The Senior Writer for The Breeze, Exuma Edition wrote an article relating on this particular issue.

Chief Morey Evans acknowledges petty theft continues to be a concern for law enforcement officials on the island. But according to the chief of police, they are mostly concerned about the persons that purchase stolen items knowingly. Therefore, he has issued a strong warning for those receivers who he said are just as guilty as the thief.

"I would like for the public to stop buying stolen items from persons who prey on people when they are at work in the day time", Mr. Evan said.

Reports of building materials, boat and car parts, laptop computers, cell phones, cameras and jewelry continue to be top items stolen from person's homes.

If I were you I would contact the The Breeze senior writer and Chief Morey Evans to share your experience and to confirm if your report was ever filed.

I would agree about the wording of Crime Wave as I have not seen or experienced such thing while visiting. I am from New York and seen crime waves.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 00:15
4. Re: Exuma crime wave?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Exuma