We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car and geography question

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car and geography question

Would we be hard pressed to find a rental car with AC? Going early July and AC is a must.

Also, about how long would it take to drive the entire length of the Queens Hwy (including any parts connected by bridge)? We do slow down through the settlements. And we don't go above the speed limit - I do that enough during rush hour at home.

Thanks in advance

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car and geography question

I think the cars at Airport have AC. The last time we visited with friends, they had to rent and I think I remember them using it. They had a Nissan Sunny or some kind of small sedan.

If you were to drive nonstop at the speed limit from Williamstown to Barretarre I would estimate drivetime to be at least 1.5 hours. You're looking at about a 42+/- mile drive.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car and geography question

I rented from Thompson Car Rental the past two years and both cars had AC. I believe that all of their cars have AC. They are not located at the airport but they make it very convenient. You can arrange your rental prior to your arrival, and they will leave the car in the airport parking lot for you. Then you can go to their office, near the 'Hotel Zone', and complete the paperwork. When you leave, just leave the car at the airport again. They are very friendly and the transactions are hassle free. Book early....the good cars go fast.

If this is the first time you are going to drive end to end allow plenty of time...there are some many things to stop and look at. Plus if you ever it is so easy to take a detour, especially in Little Exuma. There are so many great beaches just off the highway.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car and geography question

Thank you both. Someone else suggested Thompson's too. I've never had to fill out paperwork before. Is it for insurance purposes?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car and geography question

The paperwork you complete is so that you can sign the rental agreement, pay for the rental car and they make a copy of your drivers license. Also, if you take rental insurance from the rental company it isn't activated until you go to their office.

I always have rental insurance through my trip insurance company. The nice thing about Thompson's is that it doesn't.matter when your flight comes in...your car is always waiting for you. We always fly in on a weekend and just go to their office on Monday. (most things close at noon on Saturday and are closed on Sunday on Great Exuma. -- helpful to know in advance....this includes grocery and liquor stores.)

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
232 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car and geography question

i would say that to drive out the entire length of island going at the speed limit of 45mph is going to take about 1 hour 30 minutes + or - 5 minutes

Edited: 26 December 2011, 17:17
exuma bahamas
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car and geography question

It would be difficult to find a car without AC.

Yes you could drive from one end to the other in under 2 hours, but why?

Make it a full day. Stop along the way at the various beautiful beaches, have a leisurely lunch at one of the many beachside restaurants, take pictures and relax. Your hosts should provide you with maps of beach and restaurant locations.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car and geography question

Thanks Sid, I really just need to know as a reference point. Plus we may be staying in Hartswell and if we take a certain tour I'm interested in, will need to drive north to the govt dock in the morning. Having to be there early and coming from the other side of the island, it will help us plan how early we need to start the drive. We always explore as much as possible.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car and geography question

Hi jungledriver-

Just curious about what tours you are considering? I sent a couple of email requests for information weeks ago but did not get a reply so I guess I will call closer to time. I am NOT looking to go up the cays or to Staniel Cay or the Land and Sea Park since we have already been there- I was looking at a snorkel trip that would be to the south to some areas we could not get to by car or rental boat.

Hope your planning is going well. Did you decide for sure on a place to stay?

A

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car and geography question

Hi DnA,

Snorkeling is our main goal and I'm hoping to see the Staniel Cay area and, of course, Thunderball Grotto (it sounds like one of those "gotta do once things"). I'd love to explore some of the Land and Sea Park but I haven't seen any of the tours from Great Exuma mention it. I guess it's too far. The Exumas sound like they are best explored by sailboat. Ah, maybe one day.

Both Roberts and Exuma Water Sports leave from the dock at Berraterre at 9am so it will be an early morning start if we stay south of Georgetown. Still looking at Hartswell Cottages.

Dive Exuma has a tour to the southern part of Little Exuma and that sounds really interesting. Also Off Island Adventures looks like they have a wide variety of tours.

I emailed someone about a boat charter to Long Island and he responded quickly. I don't have his contact info with me, I'll have to post it later.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car and geography question

Thanks! I didn't realize that none of the tours get all the way up to the park- it is a long, long way, I know, but really is not that far past Compass Cay; however, I guess trying to do it all would all be an extremely long day. I hope you do get to go to see what that area of the Exumas is like and whether or not you might return there one day- we loved it. The sightseeing should be gorgeous on a boat trip like that - I hope you have a flat and sunny day!

I think it was Exuma Water Sports that advertised on their website a 1/2 day private snorkeling adventure down to the Moriah Cay area- that is what I was wondering about. I also saw the Long Island tour but since we had been to the northern part of LI I was not sure we wanted to do that either.

Keep me posted on your plans!!