We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time flies in Paradise..

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Time flies in Paradise..

(Exuma trip report)

Wasn't sure about the weather in June after reading so many conflicting information...We arrived in Exuma after a 3 day stay in Nassau and Atlantis, with some clouds from "Debbie", but the rest of the week was superb !

We rented a boat from Minn's for 2 days and stopped at different spots: beaches, "sunkened" boat, reefs, took a hicking path across Stocking Island to see the Atlantic from the top. We walked at low tide at Man of War from the begnning of the sand bar to almost the beginning of the land; around 1.5 miles each way, the color of the water was spectacular! On the way, we saw many sized starfish and a ray.

We rented a car for the week: very usefull if you want to move around. Drove to Barraterre for some sightseeing with detour on the western coast, beach hopping and lunch buffet at Exuma Point. At the end of the road at Rolleville, there was a beach with no sign but the tide was low and we could see a sand bar... While we were in the water we saw 2 "small" sharks and saw one coming our way, we didn't wait to take a picture and started to run !! I didn't know then if nurse shark were "friendly"...

We loved our stay, we had planned a few activites and we're able to do them with some jogling because of the weather. We did scuba diving with Dive Exuma, bonefishing with Stevie, a tour in the Cays with Exuma Cays Adventures (amazing day): snorkel in Thunderball grotto, swim with the pigs, the sharks, visit the iguanas, walk on an isolated sand bar and appreciate an amasing view on the way!

We went to different beaches: Man of War, Cocoplum, Tropic of Cancer, Jolly Hall, Rolleville, Ocean Bight (on Emerald bay), Hamburger, Starfish, Sanddollar (on Stocking Island), etc. There were other beaches access on the way, but we didn't had time...

We loved the "adventurous" side of the island, the colors of the water, the "softness" of the sand, the fact that there were a lot of snorkling possibilities, the "friendliness" of the people and, the fact that there's still things we would like to do...

During our stay we went out for lunch and dinner. We ate at (not in order of preference): Peace & Plenty, Bamboo Bistro, Exuma Point, Pallappa, Splash, Augusta Bay, Cha-n-Chill, Exuma Palms, Catch a Fire, Staniel Cay, Big D's Conch Spot (Steventon), Santana's, Catch a Fire, Exuma Yacht Club (drink).

We went to a Rake and Scrape and enjoyed ourselves (at Catch a Fire). I know other restaurants also offer this, bahamian band music, and I highly suggest you experience it !

I loved going in Georgetown to shop in the different shops, the Straw Market and looking for "exotic" finds at the Exuma Market.

I'm happy I did my homework before going, by reading a lot of previous posts on this forum, and I want to thank you all for your help ! I also did a lot of research on the web and contacted the tours companies I was interested in, and was then more informed before my arrival. A few months ago, Exuma was an unknown word and island to me...

I'll try to post reviews on the different tour companies and restaurants in the following days or weeks.

Like the song goes (I heard it at the rake'n scrape) : "... once is not enough, even twice you don't see all the stuff ...cuz once you visit "Exuma", once is not enough..."

Here's a family video of our trip in Nassau and Atlantis, Exuma is coming soon...http://vimeo.com/45652109

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Wow, fantastic report wawa3!

I'm glad you got to experience Exuma from world class bonefishing with Stevie to the beautiful views of the Exuma Cays, and the unique thunderball grotto, swim with the pigs, sharks, visit the iguanas. And you got to acquaint yourself with the finest variety of Exuma beaches from the collectible treasures of Cocoplum beach to the colors of Tropic of Cancer and Williamstown beaches.

And it sounds like you landed at all of the best lunch and dinner spots from Staniel Cay to Exuma Point, and Pallappa, to Augusta Bay, Catch a Fire, and Santana's!

You did it right and I'm glad that you got to enjoy a little rake n scrape wawa3!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Sounds like you had a great trip- thanks for sharing!!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Sounds like a dream vacation.........where did you stay?

Like you, I never knew Great Exuma existed. A friend, in recommending Eleuthera as the dream destination, opened my eyes to the Bahamas I'd never heard about. Once I looked into Eleuthera I also found Great Exuma, and now am trying to make a decisions on whether our next trip will be Eleuthera or Exuma.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Thanks !

IslandTime- I have to thank you because I brought with me a list of all the restaurants you had posted in April !

DNAMobile-I had to share to return the favor...I loved reading your trip report.

Rejuvenate- We stayed at Palm Bay in a privately owned unit. It worked perfectly for us : http://www.vrbo.com/319472

There's a lot of possibilities in Exuma (hotels and rentals), it depends on what you're looking for and your budget !!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

wawa_3-

Thank you! I think that is what is so great about the TA forums- I glean all kinds of helpful info myself and write down all the tips (restaurants, etc) in a little travel book I take with me so I love "returning the favor". We did have a very good lunch at Eddie's Edgewater one day too for anyone else looking for tips! I was sorry we did not ever know to go to the Yacht Club for a drink one afternoon or Friday night dinner- we saw it the last day and walked up to look at it and the view- would have been a place to check out.

I do think Palm Bay was probably a very convenient location! We considered it but ended up at a house very near there and were happy with it. Again, I loved the report and am so glad you had a nice trip!! Please post the rest of the video when you have time!

Rejuvenate- we have been to Eleuthera and Great Exuma (and several of the other out islands) and they are different but we loved them both- just do your research and see which seems to be a better fit for you. I am not sure you could go wrong!

Happy Travels!!

Houston
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Great report! Wish I could write a report as well as you do!

Great to meet y'all and REALLY appreciate the videos.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Hi Littlejohn, thanks for the compliments !

I have to give you credit for giving us information about Exuma, sometimes directly from your vacation, and sharing your boating experience, making this island a less unknown place !

The video on Exuma is coming soon... I believe you'll like it ;-)

Hope we'll have the pleasure to meet again :-)

Houston
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Great profile pic!

Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Here's part 2...due to all the footage we have i'm gonna do a part 3.

https://vimeo.com/46218930

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SvfRO4z5P8

Rimouski, Quebec...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Time flies in Paradise..

Part 2 of our trip(arrival to exuma)