We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wooden Jettys

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
519 posts
344 reviews
Save Topic
Wooden Jettys

Hi, just trying to find out from anyone who knows Great Exuma well, if there are any proper wooden jettys, which are accessible to the public, but not surrounded by buildings. I'm looking to get some nice photographs of one (i'm a photographer) when we head over in November, and the one on Hamburger beach was top of the list until I seen some recent pictures of it with not very nice white struts which make it look really new. I photographed it in 2008 when it was all wooden and it looked really cool.

Would love to know...thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wooden Jettys

Oh, Jettys = Docks. Many were rebuilt after the Hurricane last year. The ones you saw in 2008 have changed.

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
519 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wooden Jettys

Yes, jetty = docks, sorry about that!! Never even thought about the weather situation....thanks for that. Will explore anyway when we get there. Thanks!

exuma
Level Contributor
298 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wooden Jettys

There are 2 docks on Stocking island. One is used by the ferry going back and forth to Big D's new restaurant and that has plastic posts.

The second is 300 yards away and is more picturesque (its below the monument)

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
519 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wooden Jettys

Thanks Exumadolphin! Will check out the one below the monument!

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
519 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wooden Jettys

Forgot there were two docks near the peace & plenty place on Stocking Island until you mentioned it ExumaDolphin & I checked google earth. It was the further one I shot last time and wanted to do again in a different way! - http://www.markcapilitan-art.com/worldwide-2/

Houston
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wooden Jettys

There's one in pretty bad shape on Man of War Cay. Might make for some good pics as the surroundings are nice and you have good high and low tide water levels around the dock.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wooden Jettys

The restaurant at Exuma Point had a dock/pier outside that shot from the right angles would not have any buildings around - did you get up to that area before?

New York
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wooden Jettys

Had a good time at Exuma Point in Rolleville, only open on the weekends and holiday's. They have an all you can eat Buffet $20. Bahamian food good selection. They have a Dock and a small cave. Had a sail boat race the Sunday I was there.

http://www.exumapoint.com/

http://www.facebook.com/exuma.tarbay

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
519 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wooden Jettys

Thanks guys, will check out Exuma Point, and the Man of War cay one sounds great!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wooden Jettys

Also, I have no idea of the condition but I am pretty sure I remember a dock at the end of the road next to Catch-a-Fire which would be facing the sunset and might make a nice sunset pier shot- check it out, too.

Get answers to your questions about Great Exuma
Recent Conversations