We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review -- first time to Exuma

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review -- first time to Exuma

My first trip to Exuma was full of adventurers, from storm of Isaac, to meeting really interesting travelers.

I stayed at Harbour View house in Hartswell, a terrific location and accommodation flipkey.com/george-town-vacation-rentals/…. The best part of this area is that you are close to a few stunning beaches (yes, they all are stunning on Exuma, but I really enjoyed Tropic of Cancer). The Eastern location is 10 minutes from Little Exuma and 20 minutes from Georgetown. A few days I would travel up to the Northern (Western?) end of the island, and really enjoyed the beaches up there (by airport etc).

Took a trip on the 4C's -- well worth it, very reasonably priced. Fun day, you get to see so much more of Exuma by boat.

Places to eat:

Favorites -- Catch a Fire -- great setting, on the water, sunset views, great food.

Exuma Yacht Club -- excellent food, nice crowd to hang out with for a drink

Big D's -- didn't have fresh conch that day (many places didn't as Isaac passed through), but still was ok for a bite to eat

Chat n Chill -- really good lunch, very reasonable; fun atmosphere, but they could use beach lounge chairs. Definitely take the short walk to the Atlantic side, very picturesque. Another place that didn't have fresh conch due to the storm, even the young boys that work there went to dive for some for me, and no luck as the deeper water was a little murky.

Other places I tried (and wouldn't rush to go back)

La Shante -- maybe it was the slow season, but I thought the food was not good (felt my lobster was frozen, didn't taste fresh)

Santanas -- grouper was delicious, but again, wouldn't rush to go back. I guess you can expect everything to be fried there.

Peace N Plenty -- had lunch, was fairly good

Other beaches: Pretty Molly Bay, Jolly Hall, before the airport coming from the East (across the "Moss Town" road sign); and so many more that I just stumbled upon.

Mainly bought my groceries in Exuma Market in town, and wine/beer next to the gas station in town as well. The Market had plenty of fruits and veggies fairly fresh, and plenty of other provisions. A few stands in town sold fruits (sugar apples, plantains, watermelon, key limes). I didn't see any fishermen selling their catch, but I'm sure you could find them if you asked around.

Places I will try for next trip: Fish Fry, Augusta Bay, and Big D's on Hamburger Beach. Also would try a kayak tour through the Man O War cays (and SUP, but didn't see anyone doing this as it was a little windy with the storm).

Can't wait to go back again!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review -- first time to Exuma

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a great trip!

Houston
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review -- first time to Exuma

Glad you weathered the storm and had a great ime!

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review -- first time to Exuma

Thanks for the report and the link of where you stayed!!!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review -- first time to Exuma

Enjoyed your report & especially the view from your house!!!

5. Re: Trip Review -- first time to Exuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:17