We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions & locations

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions & locations

We will be in Exuma for a week or so in early July. Can anyone recommend cool places to eat? We arrive about 2pm on a Sunday so we'll look into Houseman's. Where/when is the Fish Fry? we've been to a similar event during homecoming on Eleuthera and would love to experience it on Exuma. Can you receommend other restaurants, take aways, etc? We'll hit Chat n Chill for the experience and I think big D's is also on Stocking? We'll check out St Francis and ocean side of the island. Where is Catcha Fire? We can hit Le Shante and Santana's easliy as we're staying in the south. Any advice/directions would be much appreciated. I only have the google map and not everything is labled. Thanks!

Houston
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

I would suggest Peace and Plenty & Eddie's Edgewater (both in George Town). Catch A Fire is on the west side of the island closer to the airport.

Fish Fry is on Queens Hwy just south of George Town. Originals Bid D's is north closer to Sandals, but there's also one on Stocking.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

Thanks! Is the Fish Fry only on Fridays like on other islands?

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

JD- if my memory is correct, I do think the fish fry is on Friday. Also, there is usually a pig roast at Chat n Chill on Sundays. We are also heading to Great Exuma early/mid July for a big birthday. We love Eleuthera too but don't think you will be disappointed with Exuma.

There used to be a restaurant, the Bonefish Lodge which was good but I don't think it is open anymore which is a shame. There was a lady there who would feed sharks who swam into a lagoon out back when she turned the light on- very interesting!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

Definitely don't miss Catch A Fire! I believe there is live music/dancing on Wed and Sat. Try to get there before sunset so you can watch it and be sure to bring insect repellent.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

The fish fry is not at all what you are used to in Eleuthera. It is, instead, a collection of little businesses that are in permanent structures, albeit small and many just take away places, that are all clumped together and open most or some days/nights of the week. It is more like the "fish fry" in NP. I tried to "find" that Eleuthera experience of the weekly community fish fry (complete with music and dancing in the street) in other places like the Abacos and Great Exuma only to be disappointed so just be forewarned of the difference in them even though people talk about "the fish fry".

We had good food at Eddie's, at Big D's, at ChatnChill, Santana's, St. Francis and Augusta Bay. We found Catch-a-Fire a fun place to drink, enjoy the music and dance but the food was so-so (tried it twice) as were our 2 meals we tried at Peace and Plenty (lunch was better than dinner- maybe it was the view). Lunch one day at the Pallapa Pool Bar at Grande Isle was pretty good. Breakfast/coffee at Driftwood Cafe in town was pretty good and breakfast at Splash at Palm Bay was just so so. The place we did not find open that we wanted to try was Exuma Point but we still walked the beach and laid out in one of their chairs on a deserted beach for a while- beautiful spot. I was also sorry to miss LaShante and Big 12 Sports Bar at the fish fry as we had heard about both of them. I was also sorry we did not try the yacht club- we did walk up to their deck and around the docks one day when they were closed- great location and pretty view- check it out, even if just for drinks.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

My favorites restaurants were:

Catch a fire (Cays, Hermitage) , Palappa (at Grand Isle), Exuma Palms ( Mount Thompson), Exuma Point (Rolleville).

Next time (?), I'll surely try the new restaurant at Exuma Beach Resort (old Cocont Cove) and the Exuma Yacht Club (in town)

I would go back at Chat 'n Chill, Big D (at Steventon and on Stocking Island) and Santana.

I also heard about Driftwood Cafe, Bikini Bottoms, Eddie, the fFsh fry, and would probably try to check some of them (all in town, or outside town for the Fish fry)

So many choices... and, Remember to check what day of the week they're open :-)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

Thanks again for all the help. I need to save my questions until closer to our trip, you all are going to get sick of me! It’s so funny because I planned our honeymoon to Eleuthera before I even knew about the Trip Advisor forum and also bahamas4u.com but now I can’t get enough info, although when we get there it’s totally go with flow mode.

So EMacCarib, we will be there on the 30th but I’m not sure what day we’re leaving as we’re probably going to charter over to Long Island but we definitely want to do a day trip to the upper cays if possible and I know they need a min # of people to go so if you’re interested in sharing the boat let me know.

Trink, we would like to hit Catch a Fire but I just hope we can make it all the way back to the south end after dark!

DnA, thanks for the info and recommendations and your experiences. I kind of figured the fish fry would be different but was hoping for some good take away food.

Wawa, thanks so much for restaurant names and their settlements!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

Depending on where you're staying, Catch a Fire should be around 30 minutes driving time if you're near Santana's.

I'm surprised to see you didn't like the food at Catch a Fire DnA! We thought it was by far the best food we had on the island, and that's coming from a New Orleans resident!

And jungledrive, while I'm thinking about it, if you plan on going to the ocean side (which I reccommend) while you're on Stocking Island, do so from Big D's. There's a trail from the bar that'll take you right to the ocean, vs. Chat n Chill where you may have to wade through water up to your neck at one point depending on the tide! We learned that the hard way, while carrying a Canon DSLR lol Big D's was a great time. Super friendly and a lot less crowded than Chat n Chill.

Drumheller, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

Just got back 2 weeks ago ,Catch A Fire was our favorite with the live music, great location and atmosphere . Santana`s was also good ,wasn`t impressed with Peace n Plenty . Exuma Yacht Club was a total ripoff $ 180.00 for a family of four with one drink and no apps or desert and wasn`t great tasting either.Chat n Chill was nice also .I bought some fish from a fellow at the fish fry one day and bbq`ed it at our rental

Drumheller, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant suggestions & locations

Just got back 2 weeks ago ,Catch A Fire was our favorite with the live music, great location and atmosphere . Santana`s was also good ,wasn`t impressed with Peace n Plenty . Exuma Yacht Club was a total ripoff $ 180.00 for a family of four with one drink and no apps or desert and wasn`t great tasting either.Chat n Chill was nice also .I bought some fish from a fellow at the fish fry one day and bbq`ed it at our rental

Get answers to your questions about Great Exuma
Recent Conversations