We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no see ums (sand fleas)

San Diego
11 posts
Save Topic
no see ums (sand fleas)

Hello!

What have worked for you in terms of preventing bites from these little guys? We will be staying at Sandals Emerald Bay in June and I read some where that you can take Zyrtec for 2 weeks prior to traveling and this will help you not get bitten. I also read you can take other types of pills prior to traveling to Great Exuma that will help, but I can no longer find those posts for the life of me. Please share your thoughts and experiences. Cheers!

PA
Level Contributor
159 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no see ums (sand fleas)

I read somewhere that Avon's skin so soft spray keeps away the sea lice.

clinton,on
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no see ums (sand fleas)

When we headed to Cuba a few weeks ago I started taking vitamin B1 for a few months before as I knew we were heading to an area with noseeums /sand fleas. It worked for me. When we were at SEB last yr I didn't start taking them early enough and I was bitten if I didn't spray. Tea tree oil is supposed to be great if you are bitten. Also know that they don't bite everyone ( like my husband). I also found that it wasn't the sand fleas biting me at the SEB but the no seeums

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no see ums (sand fleas)

Benadryl taken for 3-4 weeks before the trip worked well for my mom. Otherwise, an oily barrier between your skin and the noseeums is what is needed. Skin so Soft, Baby Oil, or Mineral oil all worked for other visiting friends (not a bite between he 3 of them!) even frequent applications of sunscreen will create the barrier. Regular listerene (the brown one) will take the sting and itch out f the bites, as will aloe.

Best bet, stay for 3 or so weeks, and let your body adapt to them, the reaction seems to be a result of body ph, which is why not all visitors get eaten up. Good luck!

4. Re: no see ums (sand fleas)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 06:18