We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Season

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Season

As I have mentioned in previous forum posts, I am traveling to Exuma from August 4th - 7th. This is the only time that I can take a vacation and I am worried that it will be spoiled by the weather (and my lack of research before choosing a location!)

Should I be concerned about hurricanes in early August? Should we expect thunderstorms/rain daily? We are planning on renting a boat and doing excursions so I am hoping that the weather will not spoil our vacation.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Season

I'll start off by saying that the odds are in your favor of having ideal boating weather going that time of year, EXCEPT that I can promise you it will be hot and HUMID as can be!!!

Yes, it is likely to rain, but the odds are again in your favor that it will not be anything more than a 30-60 min isolated downpour. To have an all day rain that time of year would be rare.

Yes, that is during the beginning of hurricane season, but the odds are still slim of a hit.

That being said, the possibility is always there any you need to keep things in mind.

Can you extend your vacation by 4 days if you are unlucky enough to have bad weather? I always insist on having the option to extend several days if the weather is bad and make this clear to anyone I'm going there with---I mean I'm not going to waste all that money and not extend trip when weather isnt nice.

To sum it up, odds are in your favor of having it nice other than very H&H. I would just strongly recommend you can extend a few days at least in case you have bad weather

(I suggest that to people even during the Apr-May time---supposedly when the best weather takes place)

Houston
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Season

We usually end of staying a day or two even when the weather is great! It's just hard to leave....

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Season

As stated before, it is not typical to have hurricanes that early, but all the same the possibility does exist. It's the same analogy as never crossing the street between 6 and 9am because you might get hit by a school bus. The possibility is there, but to not go on vacation because of it is silly. Be flexible, take our hurricane insurance if you want peace of mind, and have a great time.

One thing you can be sure of -- fun, heat, humidity, and probably decent boating weather. It's when we locals vacation in the out islands because it's too hot in Nassau!

Andros
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Season

All good advice! You know, no matter where in the world you go - there's always possibilities of weather related issues - and there's not a single thing any of us can do to control that! Take out insurance for extra piece of mind, then don't give it another thought - you will have a blast. As Dusty says - this time of year is when locals are most active on the water!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Season

Thanks everyone for your replies! I took your advice and purchased travel insurance on flights and home on VRBO.

6. Re: Hurricane Season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Exuma
Recent Conversations