We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

We were looking at Fowl Cay resort (way too expensive for us!) and Staniel Cay Yacht Club for a vacation next June. We are looking for a resort that we could rent a boat from to go to thunderball grotto, stocking island, swimming pigs and nurse sharks. We would also like good food and good service. SCYC seems like it fits the bill but it appears to have some service issues. I don't know a lot about the bahamas so I really don't know what my options might be. Incidentialy, some of the resorts I've found do not accommodate a family of five. I though about Exuma Palms but I don't know if the location is accessible to those areas we want to visit. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you, lisa

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

You really need to think of the Exumas as 3 distinct areas: the Land and Sea Park on the north, Staniel Cay area, and Great Exuma. The land and sea park for the most part is accessed via personal sailboat or yacht. The staniel cay area is accessed by boat rental while staying on Staniel Cay or via a tour operator on a day trip from Great Exuma. You really can't do all of those things unless you split your time between Staniel Cay and Great Exuma (Stocking Island is offshore from Great Exuma and cannot be visited in a rented boat from SCYC). My suggestion would be to stay on Great or Little Exuma and take a day trip to the Staniel Cay area. We used Sugar Adventure Tours and had a wonderful day. It's $200 per person. Then you can rent a boat from Minns for use to take to Stocking Island. Or if you want the all-included aspect, stay at SCYC and save Stocking Island for another trip.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 23:27
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

Thank you for your advice! I was afraid that the things I wanted to do were too spread out so we will have to narrow down what we want to do. If I understand you right, Staniel Cay seems to be our only option if we wanted to go out every day as opposed to just one day trip, from Great Exuma.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

As far as I know, yes. Or Fowl Cay but I understand that the cheapest place there is about $7,000 a week. We stayed on Great Exuma and took a day trip so I'm not as familiar with the Staniel Cay area but I have a map showing the area you can visit in their boats. I'll post a link in a minute...

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

here is the map: www.flickr.com/photos/heatheroe/9355471574/

Compass Cay is actually all the way at the top of the map and is just out of the picture. You can stay at Compass Cay or Sampson Cay but I think they are all just homes or apartments for rent (no resort) and I don't know if you can rent a boat there or not. There are alot of big yachts coming and going at these marinas. In a perfect world, that would be the best way to explore. Maybe play the lotto? Have fun in your planning. I hear that SCYC gets booked up quickly.

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

I just did a search on compass cay and you are right, no B & Bs or hotels.

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

Thank you for the map! It is really cool.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

My recommendation would be to stay on Staniel Cay and use the boat to explore from there since it is more or less centrally located.

If SCYC is booked, I wouldn't worry as there are several other rental properties on SC besides the yacht club. You can easily find a boat to rent on you own (or with a captain if that is what you prefer) on SC as well regardless of whether or not you stay at the yacht club or elsewhere.

I've been to Staniel Cay 4 times so let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

papa fox - how do you get there? I emailed Watermakers air and am waiting on a response but I don't know if there are other options or how much it costs.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

I am pretty sure the coral cottage at SCYC would be large enough for your family. Did you try that? Also, check for the website for 3 N's and see what they have for rentals or google a place called the "Beach Shack", although not at all a shack. You can rent a boat.

Have only been to SC once but am researching a trip back. You will love it!

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: resort with boat rental like SCYC, maybe Exuma Palms?

Lisa,

I flew myself there (private pilot), but in addition to Watermakers, you can fly Flamino Air there from Nassau. They depart a few times a day (at least) I believe.