We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking frozen meats:

Halifax
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking frozen meats:

My husband and I are travelling from Halifax to Great Exuma via Toronto the end of the month. First trip to the Bahamas. We are not going all inclusive and would like to take some vacuum sealed frozen meats, has anyone from Canada done this? Any problems with Canadian or Bahama customs in this regard? Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking frozen meats:

From NC, we have brought several things this way on each of our trips. They are supposed to be in their original packaging but we have never had a problem with just the vacuum sealed stuff. Most of the time we have to fly through Nassau but I don't think GGT customs would be any stricter, probably less so than NAS.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking frozen meats:

Why? We have meat here. This isn't the third world. No offense, and I know that people do it, but I've never understood why.

My wife and I started coming here to Long Island about 11 years ago, and have never considered bringing food with us. Tourism is a large part of the local economy, and if every tourist refused to shop at the local stores, 1/4 of them wouldn't make it. We usually spent about $100-$150 for for a week's worth of breakfast foods, soup and sandwich fixin's for lunch, and a couple of dinners (we ate most dinners out).

The main reason it was even that expensive was because we had to buy any seasonings and condiments we needed, and since those never get used up, that was sort of a costly waste. If I was to do it again, that's what I'd bring instead of meat and other perishables which are available here.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 15:32
3. Re: Taking frozen meats:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 16:14
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking frozen meats:

I almost always bring down forozen steaks, chicken, etc, never had a prroblem.. I have found that the selection and qulaity not so great as what we are used to, though that has somewhat changed recently, but I find it is much more expansive than home.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking frozen meats:

Preeb.. I wonder that myself.

When we travel, we generally rent an apartment or condo, even in Paris, Lisbon ,Malaga or simple beach towns along the coast of other european countries. I've never considered bringing water, snacks, meats or anything besides a few granola bars with me. Do people do this all the time when they travel??? or just the bahamas. I've rented homes with gorgeous outdoor grills or simple kitches.. part of the experience is shopping. We've been to towns were they had only the simplest of supplies at expensive prices.. We deal with it

Would anyone bring a case of bottled water or favorite soda on a Paris Vacation??? Just wondering.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 16:16
Halifax
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking frozen meats:

Thanks for your response, very helpful:)

MA
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking frozen meats:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147429-i786-k5317…

Halifax
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking frozen meats:

Thank you all very much for your replies, really helpful and we appreciate it. We were under the understanding that sometimes food items were limited or unavailable. Now we know better:)

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking frozen meats:

The Abacos chicken that's available throughout the Bahamas is excellent. Beef can be limited to frozen steaks, stew meat, and ground chuck, but then most people can survive for a week or two on other proteins. We used to buy our beef on the hoof in Colorado, but since moving here we haven't really missed that. We get enough beef to not feel like we are missing it. There are some good trade off's with the seafood that's so readily available here.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking frozen meats:

Preeb and Scuba: We bring enough so that we don't have to run to the grocery store right when we land. We also visit alot of different islands and don't always know what to expect. Plus we like certain brands of things. I stopped bringing chicken when we found Abaco Chicken but even that's not available everywhere.

TRUST ME, we spend PLENTY of money on the local economies of the islands we visit. Saving a few $$ here and there for the convenience of having a few things from home is not going to break the economy. As long as you follow the rules, I see nothing wrong with it, especially if you have kids.

Get answers to your questions about Great Exuma