We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring the island

Luray VA
Level Contributor
432 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring the island

I'd like to rent a car and explore the island a bit, and was wondering how you know if a road or beach is public or even where to go? I'm not really finding any good maps on beaches where we can park and walk to without any issues, and i don't want to accidentally end up on private property. I'm also assuming that we should not leave valuables in the car and keep it locked up?

virginia
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring the island

The general rule in the bahamas is that the beach is public to the HIGH TIDE mark (not the tree line) which doesn't give you much leeway when it's high tide.

Some homeowners don't mind you using the beach as long as you ask permission, but the big hotels are not as easy going.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring the island

We have flund the best 'map' is to look at google. It shows the roads but not always the easiest way to access beaches. Once you get off Queens Hwy, the roads toward the coast can be pretty rough/rocky. Others have posted having an suv for easy of access.

Would you leave valuables in you car unlocked at home?

Luray VA
Level Contributor
432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring the island

Thanks for the input. I've already read through that thread and so far it's been the most helpful. I'd like to know if there are any roadsigns pointing you to beaches or places to park, or letting u know not to. I've been meeting with Google maps and have a map with a bunch of points that look like good spots but I have to wait till I get to work to share it. I've never attempted to rent a car and explore on my own so I'm not sure what to expect.

MA
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring the island

Angie, I'm not sure if you have considered renting a boat at Minn's, but you will see and be able to hang out on so many beautiful, private beaches.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring the island

Don't misunderstand me, we have NEVER felt any safety issues. The people are friendly, welcoming, etc.

Renting a boat from Mimm's is a great experince! So many beaches, miles of sand and you won't see anyone all day!

Luray VA
Level Contributor
432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring the island

Yes, we are also considering renting a boat if my fiance feels comfortable for a day :) We are sort of just going to go with the flow and see what we feel like doing and what's available when we get there.

As far a safety, we've been to jamaica and nassau so i'm not concerned there. I know not to leave anything valuable in an unlocked car anywhere, not even in my own driveway. I cant even think of anything i'd leave in the car since whatever we'd bring we'd want to have on us (cooler, camera, towels). We'd even keep our cellphones in my beach bag.

As far as renting a boat, easy to navigate and get around? we've taken a john boat on the river but that's about the extent of our experience. I'd hope the map they offer would make it easy to make our way back to the dock to return the boat :) i have such a horrible sense of direction. Any tips or advice with renting a car and exploring and renting a boat is most welcome. we are down to less then 2 weeks. Here is a link to a google map where i've been marking areas that look cool to try to get to if anyone has any input on if any are good ones or not as far as being able to access with a car.

http://goo.gl/maps/7MXHi

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring the island

There are some beach access signs but not on all of them. Tropic of Cancer can be a bit tricky. If you get to Santana's you've gone too far. Just ask, locals are very helpful and very friendly. And hitchiking is normal. We always give people rides. It's actually really nice to get to speak with the locals.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring the island

It is easy to navigate, but I get the impression you aren't going to be very comfortable. The waters change ALLOT depending on tides, winds and you can find yourself stuck on a sandbar really fast or tearing off the bottom of the boat or damaging coral.

A boat rental is a couple hundred bucks which might be better spenthire someone for the day to take you to the spots you really want to visit by boat.

Queens Hwy will get you to all your places on the google map. And remeber half the fun is getting there!

9. Re: Exploring the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:17