We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant and Grocery Prices

Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurant and Grocery Prices

I would appreciate any information someone may have on typical restaurant prices (B/L/D) and also prices in the local groceries for items such as bread, lunchmeat, soda, beer, etc.

Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

I would love to know this information, too. Anybody....?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

I can't tell you around Great Exuma but if you are looking around the Out Islands I can help...especially around Staniel, Sampson, etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

Hello

I spent a week on Exuma two years ago, as I had my wedding party there, so apologies if my info may seem dated.

We decided to rent a house for this time and it was a good decision. The only hotel we would consider, the Four Seasons, was outside our price range and we had guests coming from US and Canada. We visited a few hotels mentioned on this site, like Peace and Plenty, and the rooms were nasty!

I don't think there are any restaurants on Exuma - we visited one with our family and it was VERY BASIC. For more options, you can go to the Four Seasons but again, its a pricey option.

There is a supermarket on Exuma, but choice is somewhat limited, based on when supplies come in from mainland and prices are very very expensive - peanut butter is around $5-7 per jar, etc etc. So be prepared to pay for any groceries you buy - or, if you can, bring food with you.

CT
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

The Four Season is pricey, but the food is excellent. There is a good new food store across the street from the Four Season with prices that are actually not outrageous. The Grand Isle Villas, adjacent to four Seasons, shares the same beach and is a great place to rent a 2 or 3 BR villa. The Emerald Bay marina, also adjacent, has a nice outdoor restaurant that is less than the four Seasons, but not cheap either. Big D's restaurant is about a mile north from the Four Seasons for outdoor casual dining, specialiing in conch. If you are out at this end of the island, that's about it.

CT
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

The Four Season is pricey, but the food is excellent. There is a good new food store across the street from the Four Season with prices that are actually not outrageous. The Grand Isle Villas, adjacent to four Seasons, shares the same beach and is a great place to rent a 2 or 3 BR villa. The Emerald Bay marina, also adjacent, has a nice outdoor restaurant that is less than the four Seasons, but not cheap either. Big D's restaurant is about a mile north from the Four Seasons for outdoor casual dining, specialiing in conch. If you are out at this end of the island, that's about it.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
425 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

There are a few local restaurants in town, but most of the best are in the hotels. If you have a rental car, one of our favorite restaurants ever is out of town, called Iva Bowes. It is an amazingly local place (help yourself at the bar) with the best cracked conch we have ever had anywhere. We think about that restaurant a lot. Iva Bowe is Al Roker's aunt, and I've heard him talk about her food.

kansas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

I just returned from a trip to Exuma Bahamas. We rented a house on the beach and had a great time.

The grocery prices were very high. I paid $6.89 for a bag of chips for example. I would have paid $3.69 for the same bag here in Kansas. Everything was high for food.

Gasoline for the car was double. Restaurants were good food and clean and a bit pricier.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

The Four Seasons is closed.

Beer is not too expensive in liquor stores, $2 - $3/bottle. Rum is cheap. A big water cooler jug of water is $4.

Restaurants are simple but very good: Santana's, Big D's, Cheaters, Three Sisters, Bonefish Lodge, Splash are all reasonably priced, I think and very nice to go to. We will be back there next month and want to try Fisherman's Inn, Iva Bowe's and some others we find. I do want to check out Eddies Edgwater Grill. If anyone has been there, let me know.

The Exuma Market in George Town has all the supplies you need and while more expensive than on the mainland, I don't find the prices exorbitant. I mean they do have to import nearly everthing. I was impressed with the selection. Sort of delighted by finding some things!

I love Exuma!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

GLDawson,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Exuma.

Is Iva Bowe's open again. It was a great place, but it had been closed for some time. Also, the Fisherman's Inn in Barretarre burned down about a year and half ago. The owner was trying to make a go of it with a smaller outdoor beach stand kind of place. He's a nice guy and could use the support, but just thought you should know before you drive all the way up there.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant and Grocery Prices

Also - Eddie's has always had good food - true Bahamian food! Some people have found it a bit intimidating from the outside, but everyone has always been welcoming there.