We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is early June a good time for boating at SCYC?

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is early June a good time for boating at SCYC?

I'll be doing the all inclusive at SCYC from June 4th to 9th and was wondering if this is a good time of year (usually) for using the Boston Whaler's---the sometimes strong SE trade winds being the main concern.I have prior boating experience with the Whaler's at SCYC in years past so I know the waters at least fairly well.

I know there are no guarentees with the weather, just looking to play the odds best in my favor based on prior climatology.

How bad do the wind speeds have to be before they wouldn't allow you to venture out? I won't be navigation any of the cuts or open ocean, just staying on the shallow exuma bank.

If it is too bad, how easy is it and how much $$ to arrange a last minute guided tour by boat from there?

Thanks!

Edited: 06 January 2012, 20:45
Pearland, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is early June a good time for boating at SCYC?

When we went in September just after the hurricane, there were still some pretty bad winds, they were gusting at 25-30 when we were there out of the east. We were fine, crossing the cuts all the way up to Compass it got a little rough but it wasnt too bad, definitely barable. We just hugged the islands around Sampson up through Pipe Creek and all the way up. The worst one to cross was the last one (Joe Cay Cut I believe) but we just powered through it and it wasnt too terrible.

Wes

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is early June a good time for boating at SCYC?

Thanks Wes for the info. Sounds like I won't have anything to worry about!

3. Re: Is early June a good time for boating at SCYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:16