We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries

When I was there last I made trips to the pink store but don't recall,them having freezer items such as burgers hotdogs, and cheeses. Is there another place to shop that I am unaware of? If not can you bring these items in a cooler? If not, where do you get these items once there? Is it legal to have these items shipped when you arrive? Not sure how often the island recieved shipments.

Moultonborough, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries

There are three small grocery stores on Staniel: the Blue Store, The Pink Store, and Isles General Store. The Blue and Pink stores are next to each other and Isles General is over the bridge across from the airstrip. The stores are open Monday through Saturday except for holidays and are normally closed at lunchtime. Groceries available on the island most times include: frozen meats, ice cream, canned goods, onions, potatoes, garlic, pasta, rice, condiments, sodas, dried cereal, white flour, sugar and shelf milk. They also carry paper goods, some over the counter medicines, basic soaps, insect repellent and sun lotion. Fresh vegetables, fruits, dairy products and baked goods are usually plentiful on mailboat day (typically Wednesday). Visitors sometimes bring a cooler of frozen food with them, which may be subject to Bahamian customs restrictions. In season, fish, lobster, and conch are available by ordering them in advance. Check in the village for who to contact.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries

If you did not go to Isles I think you will find much more there than the others- we have only been to SC once so we are no authority but we were surprised at the difference once we finally hit on Isles when they were open.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries

just curious- where are you planning to stay this time?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries

We are staying at scyc however my brother was interested in going when we are there but the club is booked for march. He checked out swept away and one other on the homeaway website that looked nice. I just found a farely new total luxury 5 bedroom called Kayu Maya (for future visits)as well that would be awesome for a large group or family. Its pricey at 13,500 for a week but split between three or four couples would not be bad. It looks like a magazine home with beachfront views and access,private dock and two private pools. I am considering looking into having food shipped over like Allen Brothers for steaks for a special nights. I am a hopeless foodie and like to pamper my friends and family on vacation. I will post when I confirm this possibility.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries

Yes, I remember seeing that house (by boat and on the internet) when we were there in 2009 or 2010- can't remember - it used to be listed on the SCYC site also a few years ago. I will be interested to see if you rent it because I have never read any reviews- looks fabulous. Have a great trip.

Vancouver, British...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries

Do you know where in Staniel Cay I could find a place to buy like a machete or a woodcutting axe?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries

I really do recommend visiting Ms. Vivian, the owner of Isles General Store. Great supplies for a very small island, a little like opening a Gift and always finding a special gift inside. Vivian is married to Berkie Rolle, who works at SCYC and who lost an arm in an accident several years ago. If you are there on a Sunday, do not miss the church service at the Baptist Church (only church) on island. All welcome, and a great taste and flavor of the true island culture. We visit SCYC by boat several times a year.

Mike G.

8. Re: Groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:17