We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon Wireless Phone Service vs phone card

Cape Coral...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon Wireless Phone Service vs phone card

I'll be at SCYC next week staying 7 days. Have issues at home I'll need to attend to and I'm trying to figure out the best way to call the states-pricewise but convenience is also important. I can't email the person; must talk to her. Just got off the line with Verizon Wireless and added the I Dial feature to my phone (for free) which allows me to call from the Bahamas to the states for $1.99 a minute. I can text someone for 50 cents and receive a text for 5 cents which I would also use. I know I can buy phone cards at the YC and use the payphone but I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone recently used their Verizon cell at Staniel Cay with success?

2. If so, was the cost $1.99/minute? Did it work at the YC or did you have to find the right spot?

3. Phone cards - what do they cost per minute?

FYI...prior posts recommend turning the phone off to make sure you don't hit any data spots where your phone updates getting charged royally. I like to use my phone to take pictures and found out that if you turn your phone to Airplane Mode - you disable the ability to receive or transmit any data and phone transmissions. If this phone option works out for me I would turn off my mobile data which is in the menu settings and use the "phone" option only which includes texting. Also, if a call comes in and you answer it, it's $1.99 a minute. If you don't answer the call, it will go to voice mail and no charge.

Thanks, Deedee and READY TO GO!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon Wireless Phone Service vs phone card

Well, not much help for you on this one.

How did it go? Hope you had a good trip!

Cape Coral...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon Wireless Phone Service vs phone card

Please see my new post for info....

3. Re: Verizon Wireless Phone Service vs phone card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Staniel Cay