We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for staying on Staniel Cay - Communications & Flamingo

Cape Coral...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for staying on Staniel Cay - Communications & Flamingo

Just got back - was WONDERFUL. Here's some info on communication back to the states....and Flamingo info too..

Regarding communication back home. I was going to use their daily internet - thought it was $5 a day but ended up being $25 for three days/$10 for one day. Had already made plans to use internet with contact back home so just went for it. But the internet was down first three days and when it was up it was very slow and difficult to get on. Everyone was having a problem. So I decided to call home - wanted to buy the phone cards from SCYC which were from the Bahamas phone company - $1 a minute but SCYC was out of them - said to use quarters. That did work - and reasonable but had to keep adding quarters etc. So when I went back to buy a $20/20 min. phone card (that was suppose to come in on Monday) they still hadn't come in - so they ended up selling me a phone card from The TALKITUP for $10 which gave me about 1 hr 30 min US phone time! It was in there "stash" of stuff and luckily I got one. Go to www.btcbahamas.com and click on Products and Services - and click on Talkitup phone card for more info....much better than the phone card SCYC was originally going to sell me. Got this Wed (leaving Friday) so I was letting everyone use my phone card cause I had so many minutes left. Good for 90 days after activation.. Wish I had known about this before our trip.........I met some people who said they did text home via roaming with Verizon. My phone did roam one time...so that's spotty too. Best deal is the Talkitup phone card.

FLAMINGO - had a great flight to and from - very nice staff. Was on time from Nassau to Staniel but coming back was suppose to leave at 8:40 - arrive Nassau 9:10 - plenty of time for our 12:05 flight. Left an hour late because when they dropped off the Nassau to Staniel passengers they had to then take off again and drop off Black Point and Farmers passengers. When they got back to Staniel to pick up the 7 Nassau passengers they could only take 5 as two people were on the plane from Black Point and would not get off. So they asked everyone when their flights left and two had 3:00 pm flights. So the pilot said he would be back! It's about 9:45 by now.....Great flight to Nassau. FYI..you have to walk or take a shuttle from the old terminal to the new one to catch your US bound flight. That time of day long lines going through thicket line, security, and US Customs - yes you clear US customs in Nassau which is very nice.We ended up with just 20 minutes before our flight started boarding passengers. So as we've heard - Flamingo has scheduled times that are very flexible. Make sure you have 3 hrs plus if you are leaving on the am flight out of Staniel. It would cost more to fly with Watermakers - but honestly I would pay the difference and go through them. Plus Watermaker planes are air-conditioned - Flamingo planes are not air-conditioned and until you get to 7500 feet - its very very hot. (But it's just a 35 minute flight.) That, along with the ease of Ft. Lauderdale to Staniel (stop for customs somewhere) is worth the extra money if you can swing it. But it is an adventure going thru Nassau! Just make sure your have plenty of time. The new terminal is very nice with lots of shops and food courts.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for staying on Staniel Cay - Communications & Flamingo

That's too bad about Flamingo but at least you made it...! How long were you waiting in Staniel while the plane went and came back for you? ARGH Happened to me once with Bahamasair out of Miami.

Had never heard of Talkitup - sounds like a good deal. Would be cool if they could be ordered online to the US before coming... :) Was there a landline phone in your room @ SCYC?

Thanks for all the tips!

Cape Coral...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for staying on Staniel Cay - Communications & Flamingo

No phone in the room but right outside the YC - very close to room. There were a few machines at the old airport where we took off for Staniel that may of had this calling card for purchase. I know the ones that Staniel was suppose to have were sold there but I didn't buy one; thought I would get it at Staniel. The Island Grocery store on Staniel has a sign posted outside that they sold phone cards so maybe it would be there too if SCYC can't find one to sell you. And I fully understand when you go to the Bahamas it's Island Time...and all is an adventure.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for staying on Staniel Cay - Communications & Flamingo

Thanks!

4. Re: Tips for staying on Staniel Cay - Communications & Flamingo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Staniel Cay