We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

Which Glencoe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Heidelberg
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

Hi everyone, is there any way to get to the Lost Valley by public transportations ? I would be leaving from Edinburgh. Thanks a lot

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

The Citylink bus from Glasgow goes through Glencoe

Heidelberg
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

Thanks, do you know where do I go out to get to the Lost Valley ? (crossroads, visitor centre)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

There is a car park, half way down Glencoe, where there is often a piper playing. That is the start of one of the routes to Lost Valley. You do NOT go to the National Trust visitor centre because that is a couple of miles on, at the foot of the Glen. Ask the bus driver, because this is not one of the normal bus stops.

Public transport is not great in Glencoe. Most mountaineers use cars to get around.

Lost valley is not really difficult but does involve some scrambling over rocks, and some wet boggy areas. You do not do walks like this in trainers. The mountains around Glencoe do require some mountaineering experience, so don't give into temptatation to climb beyond lost valley unless you have, or are with people who have.

Here is a good description and you can click through onto a map of the area.

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/lostvalley.s…

I can recommend the Clachaig Inn for liquid refreshment afterwards.

(Another good walk not too far away, is Steall Falls, in Glen Nevis north of Fort William. walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/steallfalls.… )

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

The Lost Valley is about halfway through the Glen. There are several large lay byes along the road which would be a good place to get off and start walking up to the valley, but I don't think the bus stops there.

It definitely stops at the Visitor Centre almost at the far end of the Glen. I'd guess maybe 3 miles further on than the Lost Valley. Then there's Glencoe Village maybe another 3 miles further on from that.

I'd get off at the visitor centre and walk back. It's a great place to walk.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

Posted at the same time as you, Derek. I don't think the bus drivers stop at these lay byes. Maybe they consider it too dangerous pulling in and out of them?

Heidelberg
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

Ok thank you very much guys ! actually I dont really have mountaineering experience, I mean, I do it for fun a few times a year, so I dont know if it would be too hard... I was looking for a place with beautiful landscapes to which I can go by bus or public transports, and not too far from Edinburgh since I have to take my plane back there. Derek you said Steall Falls, but Im not sure I could reach that place, its written Bus service between May and September. Im going in march. Do you have something else to recommend me? :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

Lost Valley won't be all that difficult. The mountains above it will be. If you stay on the valley floor you'll be fine.

You're right about the buses. They don't go all the way up Glen Nevis anyway. And they don;t go far up the glen until the Summer Season.

March in Scotland: it could still be winter on the mountain tops. Expect low level routes to be clear, high level routes to have snow. No way of being sure how much snow there will be: last March the snow level was well above 1000m, this year it could be 5-600m - or sea level if it has just snowed :-)

Other places? to follow.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

The Citylink bus stops to pick up at the foot of the glen, about 15 minutes walk from the lay-bys in question. It's where the road crosses the River Coe and there's a car park there. It looks like a request stop but I've seen the Glasgow bound coach pull up there on a few occasions.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

WHat is the idea behind the trip? Is this a day trip from Edinburgh or are you hoping to spend a few days in one area, or travel from area to area?

That makes a lot of difference to the routes I might suggest.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 23:01
Heidelberg
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Lost Valley by public transportations

Yes just a day trip from Edinburgh, dont know if its realistic :P I could stay a night in Glencoe as well. Im staying 3 days in Edinburgh and I wanted to spend one day hiking

Get answers to your questions about Glencoe