We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuillin Mountain Scenery

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Cuillin Mountain Scenery

Could anyone tell me exactly where the scenery on this hike was encountered and about how long it would take to drive to the trailhead from Glencoe? See www.1adventure.com/archives/000120.html - it looks very nice - would be great to walk amidst it all...

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

Thank you for responding about everything - John, you are right about the children being somewhat older - I'm not liking the idea of a climbing kit as we really aren't "climbers" - though the kids would think it's a thrill it, it would leave me a bit nerve-wracked. Perhaps we ought not to be so bold as to try and sample the more rugged scenery.

The Cuillin was the focus of a trip to Skye - if we remove a trek through those, then what sets Skye apart from another island on the West like Mull? Should we tack on the time we were going to spend in Skye, to our stay in Edinburgh?

We have accommodations in both places - I'm thinking Mull may be closer to Glencoe (another stay we have booked) and therefore doable as a nice day trip. From what I've read from members here, Skye is not a day trip sort of place, and it sounds like we will come up short with the two nights we have in Edinburgh during festival season.

Just a thought - is it still worth putting a couple of nights into Skye versus e.g. a day trip to Mull and an extra couple of days in Edinburgh? The boat trip sounds nice but I should clarify which boat you mean.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

The last thing I would do is discourage anyone from visiting Skye. The Cuillins are magnificent but there are plenty of other areas - it's a large island - and plenty to do both indoors and outdoors. Beach walks, cliff walks, hill rambles, neolithic sites, birds, and grand views at every turn, not only of the Cuillins but of the mainland hills and of the neighbouring islands, small and large. Indoors there are Dunvegan Castle, Armadale Castle, the Clan Donald centre, the Talisker distillery, and at least a dozen small interesting local museums.

If you want to visit the spot we discussed, it is now clear that you should do so by boat. Just make sure your party all have decent shoes, and do not be tempted to go further than the conditions, especially those underfoot, permit. You will enjoy the "cruise" up Loch Scavaig even if you don't land.

My experience of walking in the Rockies is limited to a week or so in Colorado, but that experience was very different to that of hillwalking in the UK. In some places here we have plenty of waymarked walks, often with established and maintained (but only very rarely surfaced) paths, and there are quite a few of these at low levels on Skye. However, in upland country, even signposts are rare, and paths are often no more than a general direction to follow across boggy ground from one stream crossing to the next. British hillwalkers generally like to feel they are out on their own. See grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/05/28/stone-pilla… to see the furore caused by a plan to put a dozen small signpost-stones on one of Britain's most walked hills. But that's by way of saying that if you want to go on the hills you must be fully equipped. If you are following a low-level waymarked walk, whilst good shoes are highly recommended and a light raincoat is never out of style, you should have no problems.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

There are lots of treks in the Cuillins that don't require scrambling and are suitable for even young kids.

The boat into Loch Coruisk is one. Yo will be in the heart of the mountain range and can walk round Loch Coruisk without any difficulty.

The walk from Sligachan across to the Fairy Pools is another.

I've seen youngsters walk the Quiraing no problem.

I would go for it. Mull is beautiful but the Cuillins are far more spectacular

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,640 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

We took our sons when they were 10-ish; we took the boat and had a splendid trip. Skye has that something extra, whatever you do.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

Hmmm...sounds like we should stick with Skye - I really appreciate this, especially as trying to add in an extra destination just takes away from the others and promotes more "ripping around" without seeing much of anything.

Goodwitch - great post (again) - thank you for the details on the walks that we can do. For what it's worth, I'm just glad I don't have to bring bear spray - for us here, many hikes have limited of four and eight persons due to activity in the area, and no one should ever hike alone - be it bog, more or scree, we'll just be relieved if there are no bears.

We'll definitely try and play it safe, but I'm going to try and find more detail on the boat and the areas mentioned here under Goodwitch's post - does anyone have a link for a good tourism office that is familiar with the walking and hikes in the area, as well as the boat idea that has been passed back and forth?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

Look at Misty Isles Boat Trips: tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g122470…

Their website: http://mistyisleboattrips.co.uk/

There is also the Bella Jane: tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g122470…

Their website: http://bellajane.co.uk/

They both have great reviews. :)

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

This is perfect - thank you for supplying the specifics - do you think we must reserve ahead or may we simply arrive on site without too much of a cue? This is unrelated - but we would have the same question for a boat trip at Loch Lomonde or at Inverlochy castle (presuming we could take a boat out on the water there). Thank you again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

It depends on what time of year you're going; in peak season (June-August) it would be wise to book ahead, but off-peak (September/October, April/May) you may be able to just turn up.

My partner and I were in Skye in October 2011 and we phoned in the morning to book the Misty Isles boat trip, but they were cancelled due to poor weather. However, the weather was beautiful in Portree where we were staying, and we were able to go on a sea eagle boat trip instead, from Portree. It was good, but not nearly as spectular as the Loch Coruisk boat trip would have been. I'm planning to do the Loch Coruisk boat trip next time I'm in Skye (April 2014). :)

Edited: 03 June 2013, 01:52
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

Store the Misty Isle and Bella Jane local phone numbers in your phone and ring a couple of days ahead to book. They have several sailings a day - more in the high season than low. We were there a couple of months ago before the season got going and we rang them. They said if they got another couple of enquiries they would run a special trip for us. They did and offered us a trip

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,468 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cuillin Mountain Scenery

I was also going to suggest the Misty Isles Boat Trip.....and Skye is a wonderful Island so definitely make the trip ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Glencoe