We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Orcas to where?

Wales, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
from Orcas to where?

Hello. My husband and I are leaving on the 23rd for 5 nights on Orcas Island. We aren't seasoned travelers and are wondering if you might suggest an itinerary that would hold some options in case the forecasted rain does occur. We had hoped to spend a lot of time outdoors, but it looks like that may not be possible until later in the week. We'll have a rental car from Seattle. Thank you!

Chris

Mentioned in this post
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Orcas to where?

Sorry, I'm unclear as to what you are asking. Perhaps answers to my questions will clarify things.

Leaving from where on the 23rd, home or Seattle? I assume from your last comment, Seattle.

Five nights on Orcas? Gotta ask why, or are you intending to go to the other islands as well, just basing on Orcas?

If it rains, are you asking us for options that are sheltered or other locations in general?

Have you been in this region before?

Don't like asking questions to answer questions, but bear with me on this one. :)

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Wales, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: from Orcas to where?

Thank you for your questions! They help. We fly in to Seattle on the 23rd. We are intending to go to the other islands from Orcas, but don't know in what order. It is so far away from everything! We have not been in the region before.

As for the rain issue, yes, options that are sheltered as well as other locations. Wish we'd checked with you rather than Frommers!

I'd appreciate any input. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Orcas to where?

n0twelltraveled,

A couple of things regarding our weather and rain. Rarely does rain stop activity here, or prevent us from being outdoors. You will find our rain to be lighter, more constant, perhaps grey skies, more than anything. There is a term used here, "sun-breaks" which always makes me laugh, but you can have a greyish, rainy day with sun breaks that is quite pleasant. Our weather forecasting can also be, well, it seems, 50-50 percent right (or wrong), so do make note of the weather forecast, but don't let it deter you.

The San Juan Islands fall in the Olympic Rain Shadow, which means the area gets half the rainfall that Seattle does, and about 250 days of sunshine. It is a lovely area.

My recommendation when traveling to the Northwest is to always bring a lightweight, hooded, packable rain jacket. I rarely use an umbrella here, but use my hooded rainjacket year 'round.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Wales, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: from Orcas to where?

Thank you for the rain explanation....very reassuring. I feel better about the forecast. We'll be ready with rain jackets!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Orcas to where?

consider just going to Orcas and use the time not going to the other islands for other sights.

Mentioned in this post
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Wales, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: from Orcas to where?

Really? You wouldn't go to any of the other islands? Would we be sorry? We may not be able to return here for some time. Would there be maybe just one other that you would consider? What about Whidbey or San Juan?

Mentioned in this post
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Orcas to where?

Definitely see San Juan Island, perhaps Lopez Islands, the latter more for biking.

This should help... I'm partial to San Juan Island, and go there 2x at least/year; more to see and to do IMO than Orcas, and very much an island experience.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

http://www.nps.gov/sajh/index.htm

If interested in Whidbey Island, upon return to Anacortes, you can drive south the length of the island to a short and frequent ferry ride back tothe mainland and Seattle.

WI is a great day or more getaway that is iconic of the Pacific NW; article has key websites.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

A nice short, very scenic, hike on WI:

Ebey’s Landing State Park

nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm…

Mentioned in this post
San Juan Island
San Juan Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from Orcas to where?

As is so spring in the Northwest, this morning when I gave your the weather information it was sunny, warm, just gorgeous, now the weather has turned, grey, rainy and windy, bleh!

One of the pleasures of the San Juan Islands is just relaxing, doing nothing, there is no hurry, you are on Island time. I would definitely encourage you to visit the other major islands with ferry service, and each has it's own distinct flavor. Best to walk or bike on the ferry if you can. Though more $ there is also the option of seaplane or water taxis.

Here is a nice article for some ideas as well as a few other websites to explore.

…about.com/od/…SanJuanIslands.htm

sanjuandirectory.com/transportation/ferries_…

http://www.visitsanjuans.com/

http://www.sanjuanisland.org/

http://www.sanjuanweb.com/

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: from Orcas to where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Orcas