We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House Reef

Which Kuredu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
House Reef

Hi guys, whoever has been before, can you tell me how far the house reef is from the end of the jetty ? are we talking a long swim or a few meters or ?

I have fins etc and I'm a strong swimmer and will probably be doing a lot of other snorkelling trips anyway but wondering how easy it is and if there is much sea life?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House Reef

Hi

If you get into the ocean at the end of the jetty it's about 15 mtr to the reef ,the reef is well below the surface so you will be in deep water .

You can also get to the reef across the lagoon with a very good chance of bumping into a turtle.

Ok the reef on kuredu is poor but this doesn't meen you won't see plenty of sea life ,we enjoyed snorkeling every day for 2 week on kuredu ;-)

Darryl

Edited: 04 November 2013, 13:00
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House Reef

just 15 meters? oh that's great, from the other posts I was expecting to be tired by the time I got there!

How deep would you say it is?

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House Reef

It's not very deep, 4-5 meters maybe. There is also a ship wreck that you can see from the surface which is really cool. We swam with the turtle daily in the lagoon (it feeds on the grass there). There is not very much sea life, but we did see moray eels and some of the usual fish. You have to go on the excursions to get better snorkeling.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House Reef

Ah, thanks for the info that's what I assumed, I went to Meeru previously and there wasn't much there other than reef sharks and titan trigger fish, looks like Kuredu is quite similar, but it's a good trade off for a bit more to do in the evning etc.

I'll be going on the excursions so hopefully will get some nice video/pics from those.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House Reef

I would say about 5 mtrs ( ish ) above the reef and much much deeper over the drop off .

We used the jetty to access the reef some days and snorkeld across the lagoon on others . Saw some nice big sharks ,eagle rays turtles and much more .

When you look back at the beach it does look a long way and it is but if you are a decent swimmer you will be fine .

Darryl

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: House Reef

Kuredu does have better snorkeling options than Meeru

Darryl

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: House Reef

If you snorkel around the walls near the water bungalows. and further down around a rocky area , there seemed a very good variety of fishlife. Turtles may be pretty much resident in the sea grass, left of the jetty, plenty to keep us occupied.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House Reef

Sounds great I think turtles and sharks will keep me occupied between the odd boat trip

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: House Reef

The coral isn't great but loads of sealife, I've even seen a manta on the housereef. There's always batfish at the top of the wreck and lionfish at the bottom of the wreck but you'd have to be a good freediver as the bottom of the wreck is at approx 20m. You can also swim out to the Caves where all the green turtles live but you need to be a good swimmer & only do it at high tide in calm conditions. You need to swim out to the drop off from the end water villa, number 501, then swim with the beach on your right & you'll come to the Caves, it's a horseshoe shape. You'll always see dive & snorkel boats there as it's a popular site. You need to be patient to see the turtles come up for air but when we did it last year, we saw over 20 come up. It's a great site to dive.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: House Reef

We saw a group of about 8 or 9 eagle rays just off the edge of the reef on our first unaccompanied dive off the jetty.

Get answers to your questions about Kuredu
Recent Conversations