We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

Pennyslvannia
Level Contributor
41 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

We'll be traveling through the Finger Lakes in Aug. Starting at Honeoye Lake and traveling East to Canandaigua, Keuka, Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. We'd love to stop at a few wineries along the way. I'm a big Riesling & Gewurztraminer drinker! Not looking to spend a lot of time tasting/touring, but would love to stop in, pick up a few bottles or Riesling/Gewurztraminer and maybe grab lunch/dinner. Great views/scenery or creative wine types wines are a plus! Anyone have any suggestions for "must see" wineries that fit our criteria?

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

You're mixing apples and oranges here. Great wine and scenery don't necessarily go together. In other words, a tasting room that offers great wine may not be scenic, but, then again, it may.

Anthony Road has won a number of golds recently on the international scene for its Riesling. My personal favorite in Riesling is Hermann J. Wiemer. Both are on the west side of Seneca Lake. I've lived in France and believe in the concept of terroir and feel the best Finger Lakes Rieslings comes from that region. But, of course, that's all a matter of taste.

As relates to Gewurztraminer, I will leave you with this: winejudging.com/medal_winners_2012/220.htm

Finally, I will say that, in order for you to have a positive experience, considering your desires, YOU need to do some research. There are roughly 100 wineries in the Finger Lakes. Read the reports of wine experts, look at the results of wine judgings and look at websites to narrow the field down to a reasonable number for the amount of time you have to spend.

Good luck.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

I'll second the vote for Hermann J. Wiemer and would also recommend Dr. Frank on Keuka. Check out Dr. Franks' Rkatselli (sp?).

Auburn, New York...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

Travel the east shore of Cayuga Lake. Stop at King Ferry Winery & try its double gold medal-winning 2010 dry Riesling. Along with a spectacular view, Long Point Winery has an award-winning dry Riesling with flavors of apricot and pineapple with a crisp finish, as well as a semi-dry Riesling with flavors of melon, citrus and a hint of green apple. Heart & Hands Winery's ' 2009 Reserve Riesling received a score of 90 by Wine Spectator magazine’s James Molesworth! Experience a fabulous lunch/dinner at Pumpkin Hill Bistro, or the Aurora Inn. Be sure to stop at the world famous MacKenzie-Childs factory store on the way and tour their incredible "farm house" which showcases their products. A truly enjoyable 13 miles!

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

I would recommend taking Rt. 96 South. I think this route has many very good wineries. There are fantastic rieslings at many of the wineries, the Gewurztraminers can be a bit weak at some.

A couple of my favorite wineries are Standing Stone, Atwater, and Lamoreaux. They all have very nice wines. If you're looking for a fun stop I would say Rasta Ranch (not so good wine, but fun atmosphere), Bagley's/Poplar Ridge (country feel), and Hazlitt (home of the HHJ).

If you're looking for some lunch check out Cayuga Ridge on Rt.89. Delicious stone oven flatbreads!

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
711 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

JustUs796, the first wineries that you mention are actually on Route 414. I know, it's confusing. You should try navigating "inland" where the road names change every mile! :) I do agree with your suggestions though!

I'm no expert, but the FLX region is well known for our Rieslings and I think that many of the wineries offer good ones. Atwater Estate Vineyards, has one of the best views in the area, in addition to some excellent wines. Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellars has one of the most impressive wineries, architecturally and some very good wines as well. I would add Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards to the list, not only because they have some good wines but for the "fun factor" with their unique tasting room (and wines), wine slushies and outdoor tiki bar.

If you do decide to travel the east side of Seneca Lake, you have some excellent dining options at The Stonecat Cafe, Red Newt Bistro, Dano's Heuriger or Suzanne Fine Regional Cuisine. Enjoy your visit to our beautiful Finger Lakes!

Finger Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

CampingBuddy -

Hope we haven't caught you too late. Naples is an absolutely beautiful part of the region, just south of Canandaigua Lake, where the scenery is sure to astound you. Arbor Hill Grapery offers complimentary wine tastings (with several unique wines!), as well as a large array of food products you can taste, and Arbor Hill's Brew & Brats is a unique dining experience, complete with craft brew tastings! Just down the road in beautiful downtown Naples is Inspire Moore Winery - another great place where the scenery is absolutely stunning, and you can sit out on the patio at Roots Cafe for a bite to eat! You won't regret stopping. And while you're in Naples, you won't want to miss the purple fire hydrants and a stop at Monica's for a taste of grape pie!

http://thegrapery.com/

http://inspiremoorewinery.com

http://www.monicaspies.com/

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

For my vote, it's the east and west side of Keuka lake-the best mix of quality AND scenery-yes Weimar is good, but no view...

Go to Mac Gregor-it's up on the bluff with a view of the fork in the lake, an atmospheric tasting room with extremely friendly servers, some excellent wines, especially rieslings, family run AND they serve local "snacks" and picnic food, so you can get a great cheese platter, sit on the terrace, and order a full glass of your favorite. Then we shoot down to Ravines for the very dry French style Whites, then to Dr Frank's-great wines and view but usually crowded, then if still not intoxicated/wanting more, to Hunt Country for the excellent sweet wines/sherry.

That's my itinerary for out of town guests. Suits everyone so far!

WNY
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

I recommend Dr. Frank and Heron Hill, both on Keuka and near each other. Heron Hill has a nice little restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the lake. We also like Rooster Hill, on the east branch of Keuka [E. Lake Road].

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

Thanks for catching that Flmill. I live here too...must of been asleep that day!

Parma Heights, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

I agree with you Anthony Road is probably my favorite All-Around Seneca Lake Winery. I hear that Johannes Reinhardt is leaving AR at the end of the year and starting his Own Winery in the same area. Hopefully he stays on as a consultant. That being said I would add Hermann Wiemer and Red Newt on the Waterfall Side as must-visits on Seneca Lake. I would add Konstantin Frank and Ravines on Kueka Lake and Sheldrake Point on Cayuga Lake as must visits wineries. If your going for the Wine/ Scenic-View Combo I would add Heron Hill on Kueka and Lamoreaux Landing on Seneca Lake as must see wineries as well.