We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Service for Wine Touring

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Car Service for Wine Touring

Hi all,

We are planning on visiting Finger Lakes (Seneca Lake specifically) and doing a full day of wine tasting. I've been considering whether or not it's worth it to hire a tour company/car service (such as Quality Wine Tours) to drive us around to the different wineries. It's going to be more of a romantic getaway so we thought it might be fun to have someone else do the driving!

It's quite expensive though (about $300 for two of us for 6 hours) and while they can make suggestions as to where to visit and give us background on the area etc. in addition to being our chauffers, I'm just wondering if the expense is REALLY worth it. I don't really think one would become impaired from small wine tastings (I know they have a spit bucket too). Has anyone ever done this before? Any thoughts??

Oswego Food & History Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Oswego Expeditions
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing
Keuka Overlook Wine Cellars
Sightseeing Tours, Wineries & Vineyards
Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Service for Wine Touring

That's really a judgment call on your part. I assume you've checked herehttp://www.ilovethefingerlakes.com/entertainment/wineries-tours.htm to make sure you've shopped around for a service. Some of the bus and van services are quite popular and may be cheaper than a limo. But what you do is really up to you.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Service for Wine Touring

Thanks for your reply. I think I checked out every site under the sun for Finger Lakes! Thanks for the suggestion tho....

I guess I am asking what other's experiences were with this.... For example, was it more of a tour or just a car ride to and from the wineries. Was it worth the expense to have an experienced Finger Lake native take you around?

I am planning to propose to my gf on this trip so I'd rather it be a private tour rather than a bus full of random strangers.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Service for Wine Touring

Well, proposing to your gf changes the whole picture. There are some wineries that serve dinner. Would you be interested in renting a car and proposing at the table or on the deck overlooking Seneca Lake? Glenora is a popular place. http://www.glenora.com/ Or would you like to propose by the falls at Watkins Glen State Park? ilovethefingerlakes.com/recreation/statepark… These are just two of many options.

The bus tours are guided tours with a bit of history by knowledgeable people with other people interested in tasting wine. They do have a certain schedule to keep with a certain group of wineries to which they go, so lingering a bit may disrupt the flow of things. You should check here for a list of wineries on Seneca Lake ilovethefingerlakes.com/entertainment/wineri… A chauffer-driven car, on the other hand will give you private service and cost you more. A lot of it will depend on what will appeal to your gf and how much you can afford to spend. Personally, I don't think you need to be fancy to propose to someone, just sincere. It's the thought that counts.

Finally, you might think about changing your venue. You should check out the Esperanza. It's a mansion on Keuka Lake. http://www.esperanzamansion.com/ They have a tour boat on the lake and provide dinner. Depending on the weather, it would be a romantic place to propose. http://www.esperanzaboat.com/ They're near a number of wineries on Keuka Lake. ilovethefingerlakes.com/entertainment/wineri… So, as I said, there are plenty of options.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 22:00
Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Service for Wine Touring

Unfortunately, the bus tours often attract people who truly have little interest in wine and more interest in partying. If you're looking for a romantic experience, I would recommend that you look into hiring a chauffeured sedan. It will cost less than a limousine, the driver will help guide you to wineries that suit your tastes, you'll have total privacy and the flexibility to stay anywhere as long as you like. You might also want to select a particular winery to propose at and call them in advance to have something special waiting for you (like a bottle of sparkling wine...). Atwater Estate Vineyards has a deck with one of the best views in the Finger Lakes, and I'm sure that they'd be happy to work with you to make your proposal even more special!

5. Re: Car Service for Wine Touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Finger Lakes
Recent Conversations