We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

We've never been ... but are thinking of a trip next summer. Can anyone recommend which lake/region we should plan to stay in on our first trip to the region - i.e., an area where we would see the most to get a "feel" for the region? Our interest is primarly visiting the wineries and maybe seeing some of the waterfalls and parks, plus having some gourmet dinners. We'd like to be able to visit around 2-3 lakes. We do not have too much interest in staying in any of the nearby cities such as Ithaca or Syracuse. It would be my husband and I, and maybe 1 or 2 other couples in our party - we're in our very youthful 60's - we wouldn't be adverse to staying in a nice, upscale B&B or resort. Also - how far is Niagara Falls from the Finger Lake Region. We would be driving up from central NJ.

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Syracuse
Syracuse
Finger Lakes, NY
Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

IMO, some of the best wineries and restaurants are located on Seneca Lake. But I find Keuka Lake to be a little more picturesque. Penn Yan may be a good base point. It's at the top tip of Keuka but a relatively short drive from the western side of Seneca Lake. Rooms at Glenora Inn have great views of Seneca, while Esperanza Mansion might be a good location on Keuka.

Mentioned in this post
Penn Yan
Penn Yan
Finger Lakes, NY
Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

We rented a great house right on Lake Ontario - a little outside of Rochester. Close enough to wineries, but serene and quiet when you have down time. The house itself is beautiful with 4 bedrooms, 2 gas fireplaces, an outdoor firepit, beautiful kitchen, nice deck etc. Its probably about 45mins to an hour from Niagara Falls. Check out Homeaway.com rental #364982. They might be booked, but you never know. Oh and the price was very reasonable.

Mentioned in this post
Rochester
Rochester
Finger Lakes, NY
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
55 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

Keuka, Cayuga, and Seneca are all great for wineries, restaurants and hiking. Don't miss Watkins Glen park. We loved Watkins Glen Harbor Inn. Glenora Inn rooms are not as nice, but have wonderful views and a great outdoor dining experience.

Mentioned in this post
Cayuga
Cayuga
Finger Lakes, NY
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

I think all fo the suggestions above are good, though I suspect anything within 45 minutes of Niagara Falls in not in the Finger Lakes or only on the far western edge.

There are many great accommodations in the Finger Lakes, but you need to provide more info first. What's your budget? When will you be coming? What sorts of things do you want to do when you're here? Be really specific. Biking, hiking, golfing, public gardens, photography, waterfall watching? Perhaps, this time, you'd like to do something out of the ordinary like charter a boat and spend a week visiting the towns along the Erie Canal. www.midlakesnav.com/lockmaster/index.html But it's good that you're thinking about this now as the Finger Lakes is no longer off the map, especially the publicity it recently got on the Today Show. Let us know what you're interested in. The Finger Lakes is as big as the state of MA and just as much fun.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Mentioned in this post
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

Most of the Finger Lakes is contained within a 90 minute drive, all drives very easy and most fairly scenic, so location is pretty wide open.

Given your receptiveness to upscale resorts and gourmet dining, I would suggest looking into the Canandaigua Inn on the Lake. Right next door is the Finger Lakes Wine and Culinary Center, so this may meet two of the criteria you mentioned.

Canandaigua is a nice city, things to do right in town, and the rest of the Finger Lakes are close by, as mentioned. Keuka Lake and Seneca arr the two next closest lakes, also, so if your interest was piqued by those...

I can understand not wanting to do a city, but keep in mind that Ithaca is a city in the loosest possible sense - it's a fairly small city, well concentrated, and there is a lot of natural beauty within 15 minutes (or less) from downtown. Lots of good food options there, too.

Mentioned in this post
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
9,811 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

Ithaca or Watkins Glen are the only places where you really will have immediate access to waterfalls. Watkins Glen has the park of the same name and Ithaca has Taughannock, Buttermilk and Robert Treman state parks. Of the two, I suggest Ithaca. If you don't want to stay in Ithaca proper, consider Trumansburg or Aurora. There is also a nice B&B adjacent to Taughannock state park.

Ithaca has a high concentration of excellent restaurants and a great farmers market and is the best dining option, IMHO. I also believe it is the best base for the Finger Lakes due to its central location.

I disagree that Penn Yan is a good base point for the entire Finger Lakes region - it is a good option if you are interested in the western side - same with Canandaigua.

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Trumansburg
Trumansburg
Finger Lakes, NY
Aurora
Aurora
Finger Lakes, NY
Penn Yan
Penn Yan
Finger Lakes, NY
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

The Finger Lakes closest point to Niagara Falls is Canandaigua which is exactly 1 hour 50 minutes from the falls. Ithaca would probably be the furthest point from Niagara falls at about 3 hours 15 minutes. Places you would want to go and their feel are:

Canandaigua - Beautiful Victorian small town/city with lots of restaurants, great beaches, Sonnenberg Gardens, great boutiques on Main St., wonderful swimming and easy to get around and plenty to do, major shopping areas. Some wineries but not a ton, though it does have the NY Wine and Culiinary Center.

Naples - VERY small town not directly on the lake with cute small shops and lots of grapes all around. Pretty views of Canandaigua lake in surrounding area. Good hiking, waterfalls

Geneva - (Seneca)Small town/ city with great restaurants, some beautiful homes and easy access to Seneca lake and tons of wineries

Watkins Glen - (Seneca) small town centrally located near tons of wineries. Decent restaurants some boutique shopping, good hiking, waterfalls

Penn Yan - (Keuka)Small town with great Main St. , very central to FL wineries all around, VERY beautiful area, not as much to do but still has a couple great restaurants (Esperanza comes to mind).

Hammondsport - (Keuka) very small town but very cute. Lots of wonderful boutique shopping - no major shopping. Very southerly and near lots of good wineries

Seneca Falls - (Cayuga)Not directly on lake. Interesting small town with lots of women's history stuff. Near a few wineries

Ithaca (Cayuga)- City on the base of the lake. Amazing restaurants, lots to do but it is a city with traffic, and weird driving patterns. Near some of the wineries. Very historic and green, good hiking, waterfalls.

Hope that sums it all up and helps you decide!!! Look into finger lakes premier properties for rentals, too. Though the B& Bs are great around here.

Mentioned in this post
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Naples
Naples
Finger Lakes, NY
Geneva
Geneva
Finger Lakes, NY
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Penn Yan
Penn Yan
Finger Lakes, NY
Hammondsport
Hammondsport
Finger Lakes, NY
Seneca Falls
Seneca Falls
Finger Lakes, NY
Cayuga
Cayuga
Finger Lakes, NY
Binghamton, NY
Level Contributor
168 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

I agree with rjr0810; Ithaca is the best choice if you want to see waterfalls. Theirs are the best, and they're plentiful, between all of the parks there.

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Finger Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to Stay in Finger Lakes Region?

@Laenee did a GREAT job of summarzing a few highlights of the area - and we agree, Canandaigua Lake is a great base point if you're looking to reach a couple of lakes and Niagara Falls. We are approx. two hours to Niagara Falls, and only a 25 minute drive from Seneca Lake.

The wine trail on Canandaigua Lake includes seven wineries, two wine centers, and a brewery, and is spread over a beautiful 40 miles, making for a very scenic drive. If you're interesting in hiking and biking, the routes and options are plentiful, and I wouldn't want to miss Grimes Glen in Naples, which includes five waterfalls for those who want to climb them, as well as some less challenging creek walking - it's by far one of the most beautiful places in the area!

If you're looking to stay lakeside, The Inn on the Lake in Canandaigua is a great option, or the Ramada Lakefront on Seneca Lake.

Let us know if you need any more detailed information!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Finger Lakes, NY
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY