We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather First Week in November

ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Topic
Weather First Week in November

How is the weather the first week of November for wine tasting? Will there still be fall colors?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather First Week in November

Fall colors will be well past peak (this weekend will probably be peak) and its will be dark an hour earlier due to daylight savings. Weather wise, it could be in the 70's or it could snow (both not likely but not unheard of). It will probably be in the 50's during the day and 30's at night.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather First Week in November

I actually live in the Finger Lakes. Peak was October 1. Most of the trees are bare at this point, though I saw a lovely maple with glowing orange foliage just today in Ithaca. Halloween is usually in the 30s. But none of this should have any effect on the taste of wine. We will be setting clocks back one hour on Saturday-Sunday of that week, which will mean that it will get dark by 5:00, if not earlier. That Friday will be First Friday in Rochester, Skaneateles and Ithaca. The galleries and museums will be open late. Many of them have wine tastings and finger food. ilovethefingerlakes.com/entertainment/artgal…

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather First Week in November

Rhonda -

I'm not sure why you feel the need to correct me when you are incorrect:

From the ILoveNY website (and separately from my own eyes):

Week of Oct. 17-Oct. 23, 2012

"Much of the Finger Lakes region will see peak foliage this weekend. Tompkins County foliage will be peak, with 95 percent leaf change and average to bright yellow, orange and maroon leaves. Hillsides in the county are described as “absolutely stunning.'"

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather First Week in November

I am located pretty much in the heart of the Finger Lakes and the fall foliage is just reaching peak here. We had a hard frost last weekend which caused the walnuts and hickories to drop their leaves, but other than that the colors are gorgeous! The first week of November should be a nice time to come wine touring as traffic may have slowed down just a bit by then. October is a very busy month for the wineries.

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather First Week in November

Rochester, a little further north, is probably just now hitting "peak". I'm in Durand Eastman park and I would say that about 2/3rds of the leaves have changed, but only <10% have no leaves. Raking has not begun in earnest up here yet. I drove over the Veterans Bridge this afternoon and the Genesee River gorge was incredible.

You will be past peak, but there will still be some leaves left.

Here's a link to a site (I am not affiliated with) that has various webcams around the area. Looking at some of them I saw quite a bit of variance. Skaneatales still looks pretty green to my eyes....

http://www.fingerlakes1.com/webcams.php

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather First Week in November

Enough of this silliness! There are no maples in leaf at this time. Even the Cornell webcam shows that. The only NATIVE deciduous trees in leaf at this time are oaks and beeches. I have posted two photos on my homepage that also prove that you don't know what you're talking about and will post more on my site as time permits.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather First Week in November

Taughannock and Treman had lovely peak color when I visited yesterday (don't know about Cornell; therefore I won't offer an opinion). I imagine things will be past peak early this week in the Ithaca area.

As for the "silliness", I was using the I Love NY website to get concurrence from what I already knew FROM VISITING THE AREA. On this site, we all do our best to offer accurate information and personally I would not offered an opinion unless I had accurate information. I don't appreciate being corrected by a condescending faux authority on the region who apparently doesn't visit some of the places on her website.

Corning, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather First Week in November

The first week of November is a wonderful time to visit. The region is much more quiet after the bustle of the harvet and fall foliage season. Unfortunately there won't be fall foliage to view, but instead you will be treated to stunning scenery with rolling hills and lakes as the backdrop.

Safe travels and we look forward to your visit!

Cheers,

Morgen McLaughlin

President, Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association

P.S. If you need personalized travel asssistance feel free to call our office at 800-813-2958 or drop me an email at mmclaughlin@fingerlakeswinecountry.com

9. Re: Weather First Week in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 09:15