We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

I'm not even sure I'm looking in the right location...we are a group of ladies in our late forties looking for a long weekend stay somewhere between Rochester and the Philadelphia area. We are not wild nightclub girls but we enjoy our wine and good meals with some good shopping and perhaps some light hiking/walksthrown in. We would prefer to rent a house or condo versus a hotel but we won't rule hotels or B&Bs out. Please steer me in the right direction - should I look elsewhere?

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

Binghamton would be the halfway point, though I'm not familiar enough with the area to offer suggestions for that.

If the Philly contingent is willing to do the bulk of the driving (about 4 hours vs. about 2 for the Rochester contingent), you'd have Skaneatales, NY which may fit your bill, possibly Ithaca, NY. I think the Finger Lakes region in general really matches up well with your stated interests given the number of wineries and nice hike/walks.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

Ithaca would probably be your best bet - decent bars and restaurants, nice place to walk around, Cornell campus and close to many nice places to explore (e.g. Buttermilk Falls state park). Or if you want to get out into a more rural setting, I like Trumansburg - cute town with several good B&B choices and easy access to Ithaca and the wineries on the west side of Cayuga and east side of Seneca Lakes (some of the best wineries are on the latter).

Shopping is not great anywhere in the area. And Binghamton is not a great tourist destination (sorry, but it is my hometown).

Edited: 15 February 2013, 15:18
Carroll Valley...
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

I would suggest researching Watkins Glen, Ithaca, the Catskills region in New York, or even the Poconos in PA. For my money, I'd recommend trying to find a cottage to rent on Cayuga Lake near Ithaca or Seneca Lake near Watkins Glen. I also completely agree that the Finger Lakes region seems to line up best with your interests, it will just be a bit further for the Philly folks.

If they would at all be interested in flying, US Airways has direct flights from PHL to Elmira/Corning Regional airport (ELM) near Watkins Glen. I'm not sure if they still do, but they used to have flights to Ithaca as well.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

The Catskills are a beautiful and pleasant region but big towns and good shopping are limited. Also, no wineries.

I huge fan of the Finger Lakes and Watkins Glen (the state park) but I am not a fan of Watkins Glen (the town). The downtown is often quite congested and outstanding dining choices in the village are surprisingly limited, although there are many excellent choices as you head north along the lake. Corning (20 miles south) has better shopping and restaurants while still having good access to the Seneca and Keuka lake wineries. The Corning Glass Museum is also interesting.

As suggested previously, Ithaca is a great choice as it has more bigger city amenities (such as shopping) while having access to the wine country. There are also three gorgeous state parks with various walking/hiking options. There is also a great weekend farmers market in town.

I live in the Binghamton area and although it has a few nice attractions, they pale in comparision to those less than a hour away.

Finger Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

All of the suggestions here are great - you have a ton of great options between Philadelphia in Rochester! Though it's closer to Rochester, I'd love to recommend Geneva, NY. It's at the north end of Seneca Lake - easy access to Route 14 and the Seneca Lake Wine Trail, but also very close to Seneca Lake State Park hiking trails and the Waterloo Premium Outlets for shopping. The downtown Geneva scene is also quite enjoyable - if you want to eat local, visit the Red Dove Tavern or Leaf Kitchen, both with amazing local food, and Microclimate Wine Bar is an awesome place for a relaxing evening of catching up over some wine flights! I'd like to recommend the Bragdon House B&B as an option, but you could also do a cabin rental with Cobtree Vacation rentals - both awesome choices! Some links below for more info - have a great trip!

visitfingerlakes.com/listings/…

http://www.leafkitchengeneva.com/

6. Re: Between Rochester and Philly - where to meet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 07:16