We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

We are visiting the finger lakes from Boston for 3 nights May 25-28. I booked a room for us(2 adults and 2 boys - 4 and 9) at Holiday Inn waterloo-seneca falls. On 28th we are driving to Niagara Falls for 4 nights. Looking for some suggestions on where to eat (we are vegetarians), fun things to do with kids in the area, any scenic areas/vantage points etc., We would also like to visit a winery or two if possible. Almost all the websites/forums etc., seem to have a lot of recommendations around Ithaca/watkins Glen but I could not find much about waterloo/seneca area.

Thanks.

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

In general (note the disclaimer), there is more to do from a nature standpoint on the southern ends of the Finger Lakes as the surrounding land is higher, therefore you get more waterfalls/gorges. The region is very small, though, so a drive to the area is only about 60 minutes from Waterloo.

In the immediate Waterloo area you have the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, a good spot for bird watching. A little further south is Sampson State Park, a good area for picnicking/swimming (though the lakes may be a bit cool still. It has been warm recently, that will probably help). On the way to Sampson, along NY96A, you will pass the old Seneca Army depot. If you look carefully while driving past, there's an excellent chance you will see the white deer near the fence along the road. I want to say I see them close to 90% of the time when I take that route.

Canandaigua NY, about 35-45 minutes west, has Sonnenberg Gardens, which should be in decent bloom at the end of the month. There's also a good size Wegmans in Canandaigua (the one in Geneva is too small) that usually has a generous assortment of vegetarian food in their hot buffet. Yes, Wegmans is a supermarket, but the prepared food is really very, very good.

If you head south for a day, and i highly recommend it, there are the big four state parks - Watkins Glen, Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls, and Robert Treman. The latter three are within a very short drive of each other, and it will take you through Ithaca proper. Ithaca has a lot of vegetarian options including Moosewood and Ithaca Bakery. There are a couple more, TripAdvisor has a good selection of reviews on them. There is also a good Wegmans along the route between TF and Buttermilk/Treman. I'm not certain if the gorge trails will be open by then, though. It will be close. However, and the websites for the state parks are pretty much current. I know the gorge trail at Taughannock is open, though that is the leat spectacular trail (though arguably the most impressive waterfall, higher than Niagara).

Hope this helps a bit.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

Waterloo/Seneca Falls isn't a great area to be a vegetarian in; there are a few good beer & wing type places in Seneca Falls. You might do slightly better in nearby Geneva. Ithaca, on the other hand, is very vegetarian friendly, as are a few of the cafes scattered around the wine country.

For wine tasting, I drive down the east side of Seneca Lake on Rt. 414 - there are a lot of good wineries in the stretch between Ovid and Watkins Glen. I'll thow out a few favorites: Lamoreaux Landing, Shalestone, Red Newt, Damiani, Atwater. Along this strip are a few places that should be able to provide some decent non-meat meals: Dano's, Stone Cat Cafe and the cafe at Red Newt. After having a visit to this side of the lake, you could take Rt. 79 over to Ithaca for a look round and then come back via Rt. 89 along the west side of Cayuga Lake (also a few good wineries: Hosmer and Sheldrake Point, for instance). Most of the places I mention have websites, so check them out.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

Leaf Kitchen and Red Dove in Geneva are a couple of places that have vegetarian options

4. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 14:52
boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Very helpful. Unfortunately we could not get any rooms in the Ithaca area that weekend(cornell graduation I hear).

I also read about the memorial day parade and fireworks in waterloo that weekend. Sounds like fun for the kids. If we go for those, where can we park?

Edited: 22 May 2013, 21:38
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

Ha! I always forget about Waterloo and Memorial Day... Can't help, never been there for that, though i suspect it shouldn't be too bad. It's a smaller town, I can't imagine there not being nearby parking or possibly a shuttle service.

And.... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but check the weather forecast. While we aren't supposed to get any rain in the immediate future, there's a cool snap coming this weekend, lows in the upper 30's over night. You should still have a fine time, though, the days are upper 50's to mid 60's. Personally, my favorite weather right there.

boston
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

Thank you for pointing out the weather. oh well, No swimming in the waterfalls I guess.

8. Re: Family trip to finger lakes for 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:15