We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - out and back to Ithaca

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - out and back to Ithaca

My wife and I were married at the overlook at Taughannock Falls and try to make at least a day trip to the environs around our anniversary, so Tuesday Oct. 8 was the day this year.

Drove down from Rochester via the "back" roads, basically NY96. Not the fastest way, nor necessarily the most scenic, just how we wound up going this trip. Probably the most important question that can be answered this time of year is a foliage report. My impressions - due to the front that moved through on Sunday, the winds have stripped about 10% of the trees bare. I would say about 10% of the trees are at peak, and another 30% are showing some color. I'm not an expert, but I would guess that "peak" will hit starting this weekend and last through the end of the following weekend.

No major construction along our chosen route, but nothing particularly exciting on the way down. Of course it's a midweek trip, probably more happening on the weekends. We drove down to the main part of Taughannock Falls SP to find a field for the dog to play in for a while, then up to the overlook. The recent rains had the falls in pretty good flow, about the most I've ever seen for this time of year. Hate to disappoint anyone coming up this weekend, though, as we aren't predicted to have anymore rain. It will still be worth visiting.

Drove into Ithaca proper, it appears the recent construction in the octopus area is done, though we didn't head to the south end of town. Headed straight for The Commons, an area we hadn't stopped at in a couple years. Found parking at a meter easily enough, meter rates are pretty high, IMO ($6/hour) The center section is under construction, so it didn't have that open feel, but the shops are open and as esoteric as ever. Lots of food options there and in the immediate area. While it isn't near as nice as when there is no construction, still worth the visit.

Headed to our favorite spot to eat in Ithaca, Ithaca Bakery, and weren't disappointed. My wife had an eggplant/pomegranate dish from the hot food bar, I had my regular egg wrap. With all the diversity of food in the area, we still seem to wind up here more often than anyplace else. We'll be down for an overnight next month, though. will expand our horizons (for at least one meal).

Headed up the east side of Cayuga Lake Pleasant drive, quiet. Aurora looked a little deserted for about 4PM on a weekday, still a nice little town. We were both a little tired, so weren't looking for anyplace to stop.

Montezuma NWR is, as expected, closed due to the shutdown.

Overall, a nice midweek trip, just on the cusp of the true fall foliage experience. We found virtually no construction (while driving), and it looks like the area is ready to receive the autumn crowds.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - out and back to Ithaca

Thanks for the reminder about Montezuma. With so many state parks, it's easy to forget that we do have a couple of federal areas as well. Since I'm so close to the FL National Forest, I knew that the staff would be on furlough but that's really the only impact. The forest remains open/accessible, only the ranger station and developed camping areas are closed. I would imagine that the ranger station foyer is open to pick up maps and brochures, as always though. Montezuma is a different story. They can physically close access to many areas like the driving loop.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 13:58
2. Re: Trip report - out and back to Ithaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:19