We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what route to take from Boston to Niagara

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and what route to take from Boston to Niagara

My friend and I are coming over from Australia and will be leaving Boston on 29th Sept 2014 to go to Niagara Falls ON. We plan to stay overnight in the Finger Lakes area and go to Niagara Falls for the next night. If the lakes areas is too beautiful to leave we may even stay 2 nights and just do a day trip to the falls. We do not have to keep to the main roads/freeways. Can some one please suggest where to head to for the first night and the most scenic routes to take? We do not need to stop at wineries. While I am at it - any suggestion as to which Niagara Falls hotel with a falls view I should book?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
404 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and what route to take from Boston to Niagara

If you want to drive from Boston to the Finger Lakes in one day you will need to spend a good bit of time on the Mass Turnpike and the NY Thruway. While this is expressway driving there are some pretty/interesting areas you will see along the way like the Southern Berkshires, the Mohawk Valley, Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, etc. Depending on what you are interested in you certainly can get off for a side trip or even parallel the expressway for a while.

You might do a bit of the latter trip (maybe from Syracuse on) by taking Routes 5/20 through central NY. This will take you through some rolling farm country and small towns. Once you get to the Finger Lakes region you might consider your overnight stop in either Seneca Falls, Geneva or Canandaigua. Each is at the head of one of the larger lakes, readily accessible from the Thruway, and has a variety of accomodation options. From there you can explore as much as you wish around the lakes region.

When you get ready to see Niagara Falls it will be about a 2.5-3 hour drive on further West. While you can experience the falls from the US, the better views and accomodations are probably on the Canadian side.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and what route to take from Boston to Niagara

Thanks for your suggestions. Will start researching that route tonight.

3. Re: Where to stay and what route to take from Boston to Niagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18