We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping summer of 2014

Port Huron...
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Camping summer of 2014

Looking for advise on choosing a campground in the finger lakes region. We have a 39' motorhome and tow a trailer with two motorcycles. We would like to be in a campground that has water access such as a lake or river. We enjoy paddle boarding and kayaking when we are not riding the bikes. Also enjoy bicycle trails. Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated,

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping summer of 2014

Here's a place that might suit your needs very well: http://www.waterlooharbor.com/index.htm

Port Huron...
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping summer of 2014

Thanks for the info, let me know if any others come to mind as well.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping summer of 2014

Cayuga Lake State Park can accommodate RVs that size. The north end of the lake tends to be calmer for paddle boarding and kayaking as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping summer of 2014

Keyuka lake state park,near pen yan,also look at samson beach state park on the east side of seneca lake aprox 10 mi south of geneva

Port Huron...
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping summer of 2014

Any thoughts on the State Park campgrounds in the area?

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping summer of 2014

In my previous post I mentioned Cayuga Lake State Park, but here's a link to all of the state parks in the Finger Lakes Region: nysparks.com/regions/…default.aspx. When you look at a specific park, just click on the Camping Reservations tab on the left side of the page. Then you can indicate that you are looking for RV sites and you will be prompted to enter the length. When you hit search you will be given a list of sites that suit your criteria. I had suggested Cayuga Lake State Park because of its central location. Sampson State (not "Beach") Park is located on Seneca Lake which is very deep and can get quite rough for paddle boarding or kayaking. The sites don't really thrill me either as they're very open and close to one another. I still think that Waterloo Harbor Campground might work well because it's on the canal between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes and the canal is an excellent place for water sports, and you can even go through the locks!

Edited: 21 March 2014, 13:20
Port Huron...
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping summer of 2014

Thanks for all your input. Just booked a stop at Cayuga (sp?)

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping summer of 2014

Cool. Glad to help. I would still encourage you to visit the Seneca-Cayuga Canal via kayak. It's not what you imagine when you hear the word "canal." There's a 60' difference between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes, so there are a series of three locks along the canal to raise or lower you, depending upon your direction of travel. There's a double lock in Seneca Falls (but no waterfalls) and a single in Waterloo. The entire length of the canal is a no-wake zone and only one side of the canal is developed (mostly residential) for a good bit of its length. It's really quite beautiful. You can also kayak on the canal system through the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, only a short distance from your campground as well. Here's some more info on the canal system: http://www.nycanals.com/Cayuga-Seneca_Canal and www.canals.ny.gov/maps/about-watertrail.html

9. Re: Camping summer of 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Finger Lakes