We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help there in 3 days*

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
help there in 3 days*

may 25

ok TA friends,

we will be flying into buffalo/niagara 12:00 noon... and headed straight to the finger lakes area... this is what we have planned ... please help me plan the driving route from buffalo airport and to all the stops (always prefer scenic routes).

(we will be in the area the entire next day also).

Watkins Glen... gorge trail, hector falls, shequaga falls, rainbow falls

Ithaca ... Taughannock Falls, buttermilk falls, Ithaca falls

Treman st pk ... Enfield falls, fishkell falls

Rocky creek on falls creek ...(hum not sure, cannot read my notes? something about a suspension bridge trail head on Univ ave ????..... HELP !! ha

if you would help me put these in order along the suggested route I would appreciate, also, any other "must see this" suggestions???

thanks for your time!!

k :o)

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help there in 3 days*

I thought we had pretty much covered the waterfalls and routes here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1480313-i12929-k7… Rainbow Falls is in the gorge at Watkins Glen State Park. In Ithaca, Fall Creek is Ithaca Falls. Your best route from the Buffalo airport is most likely the NYS Thruway to either Exit 42 or 41. Where did you end up making reservations for accommodations? If you can provide that info it will be easier to offer suggestions on routes from the airport. Bear in mind that even with the most direct route it's about a 2 hour drive.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
916 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help there in 3 days*

There are two ways to go to Watkins Glenn from Buffalo airport: take thruway exit 42 Geneva OR take I-390 S, thru small villages, farms area. It takes about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours driving.

If you take thruway, plan on having lunch on one of the Seneca Lake wineries along the way or stop by at Belhurst Castle (beautiful view of the lake). Continue to drive to the south tip of Seneca Lake where the village of Watkins Glen is located. The gorge is on the right side of the main street, just before the gas station.

From Watkins Glenn to Ithaca is about 35 minutes drive thru RT-70. We love Robert Treman State Park, beautiful gorge smaller than Watkins Glenn, a good hour hiking, up and down. The Taughannock Falls is a very short walk, flat trail. Don't forget to grab your sandwiches/lunch at Ithaca Bakery for your hike.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help there in 3 days*

may 26

flmillcreek..

thanks for your help, sorry about the repeat!

we will be staying in the Watkins glen area the day of arrival... and most likely the Ithaca area the next night... then back to Niagara Falls area very early the next morning. I just like to know ahead of time exactly where I'm going from point to point so I'm not searching a map and missing the scenery while we are driving (plus car sickness).

thanks again for your time!

K :o)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help there in 3 days*

kmiggiani.

thanks for the info... is the I 390 South a much more scenic route than thruway? we always prefer the scenic route IF it is worth the extra time... so you think it's worth the extra 30 mins??? especially with all we have to do in 1 1/2 days??

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help there in 3 days*

You could add in a couple of hours (that would include the out-of-car time) and drive through Letchworth State Park. From Buffalo, use google maps to get the route to the Mt. Morris entrance, then do google maps from Portageville to Watkins Glen. Google maps will NOT run the route through the park, at least all the different ways I tried.

But to be honest, I'd just hightail it for Watkins Glen, there's very little to see if you're in a hurry between Buffalo and the Finger Lakes. The NY thruway is one of the most boring stretches of road, but it's quick. NY 14 is also pretty quick, and a not bad route. I just drove it yesterday from the thruway, no construction.

And to get you a little more excited, I was in the gorge yesterday, the flow was very strong. If you don't already know, you will get... while not wet, per se, a lot of drips. If you're bringing electronics, a couple plastic grocery bags to keep them covered in some areas wouldn't be a horrible idea.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help there in 3 days*

mclee19,

thanks for your helpful tips.... I will check out Letchworth State Park and goggle map it.

also, the tip to carry a plastic bag was great... I got up immediately from the computer and put a few in my suitcase. Yeaaaahhh you have gotten me excited about seeing the strong flowing falls... it won't be long now!!

thanks!

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help there in 3 days*

I understand kjaynebt! I used to get car sick trying to read in the car as well. Working in fisheries cured that! LOL The info on where you're staying is very helpful. I would recommend taking the Thruway to Exit 42 and then 14 South along the west side of Seneca on your way in (beautiful views). While in Watkins Glen, you can visit Shequaga Falls in Montour Falls and the gorge at Watkins Glen State Park (via Route 414 south). The next morning, you can take Route 414 north to Hector Falls and then continue north using the directions from the previous thread to visit Taughannock Falls and continue on into Ithaca. In Ithaca, you can take Route 13 north to the Stewart Park Exit. Stewart Park is just a quick driving loop at the south end of Cayuga Lake but it's pretty. From there, take a left leaving the park and at the stop sign take a right onto East Shore Drive/Route 34. Continue on that road and it turns into Lake Street and takes you to Fall Creek and Ithaca Falls. From there continue on Lake Street to Stewart Ave. Take a right on Stewart Ave. and it will take you through Cayuga Heights and along the Cornell Campus (beautiful homes, scenery and city views). Stewart Ave. ends at Route 79/E. Martin Luther King Jr. Street and if you take a right you will go back through a bit of the city to Route 13 S./Fulton Street. Route 13 S. will take you to Buttermilk Falls State Park and from there you can continue south on Route 13 to Route 327. A right on route 327 will take you to Robert H. Treman State Park.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help there in 3 days*

WOW .. That's great info !! I will print this off and have in my travel notebook for sure !!

We r getting excittttted!!

K :o)

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help there in 3 days*

I hope that you have a wonderful visit!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,593 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help there in 3 days*

I definitely think you should take I-390 South and stop at Letchworth aka "Grand Canyon of the East". I recommend lunch at the Glen Iris Inn there or in nearby picturesque Geneseo. Nearby Stony Brook state park is also a great stop; a smaller gorge but several beautiful waterfalls along a lovely creekside trail. If you have kids in tow, this is a great park. The Corning Glass Center (exit 46 - you could also get to Watkins Glen heading south from here) is one of the area's best and most interesting attractions.

BTW, the route from WG to Ithaca is NY 79 (not 70); this will provide easy access to both Robert Treman and Taughannock Falls without having to drive into the city of Ithaca.