We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there?

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What is there?

What is at Playa Matapalo? Is it just a beach? Is it a small town? Are there any buses passing through there? What is the beach like for swimming in February? How far is it from RIU as that is the address given. Cheers, Kat.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there?

Not a town...No buses passing through since is at the end of the road..

Nice warm water and kind of brown sand...in my case I can spend the whole day playing around the beach there...and I do it...since I spend a lot of my time next to Matapalo!

RIU beach is just meters away from the resort!

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Edited: 24 August 2010, 17:48
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there?

The RIU is rather isolated and really not close to anything. If you want to go somewhere off the property, you would need a rental car or hired driver or taxi. There are many organized tours offered also. The ocean water is warm year round but the beach might be a little more windy that time of year.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there?

Unfortunetely I don't drive. As for the wind - I live halfway up a hill about 3 miles from the sea and it hardly ever stops blowing! How far is the nearest town to get a bus? Ta, Kat

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there?

It kind of depends on where you are headed - but - you would probably have to get a taxi to the highway to Huacas, maybe 5 or 6 kilometers, but roadadvisor can give you more details about that.

Unasked for advice coming up:

If you don't drive but really want to move around and see different places, the RIU is about the worst choice you could make! There are lots of nice places to stay all up and down this coast where you can walk to town or easily catch a bus. Tamarindo is one, but not exactly your quiet little laid back beach town. Lots to see and do there in addition to a nice beach and easy to walk around and catch the bus for other places. Playas del Coco is another and further south, Samara.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there?

Thanks Hattie - I'll know next time. Unfortunetly I've already booked the hotel.

The company charge a lot of money to change it I think.

The last time I went to one of these AI resorts, in DR, the place was full of people on their college break who just wanted to get pissed and be pests. Hopefully at that time of year they will be studying. A couple of Canadians said that any of RIU properties were really good, but they had been mostly to Mexico. Because of the distance from England CR is not on many peoples travel lists, it is also expensive to get there from here.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is there?

It is a mangrove river estuary with a beach

nice but brown sand due to run off

RIU actually got into trouble for cutting the mangroves

to build the hotel since it is an ecologically protected area.

Pretty remote though rent a cheap car to get around best

www.mapache.com my fav...

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is there?

I Can't drive! Lots of people, especially middle-aged woman from poorer backgrounds don't drive. If anyone was taught, it was always the male child when I was younger. For our 18th birthdays, my brother got driving lessons, me jewellery and a dinner service!

In those days sex and race discrimination was still legal in the workplace!. (I am 47)

Edited: 25 August 2010, 13:11
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is there?

katzi - if I were you, I would find out what it would cost to cancel your booking. Sometimes it is either nothing or not much if you cancel this far ahead. You could easily spend $US100 getting around from the RIU unless you are interested in staying on the property most of the time. At one of the beach locations I suggested, you can find excellent lodging at a better price than the RIU plus have the flexibility of walking or riding the bus. Just my two pence!

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is there?

Just looked it up. It would cost me £150, which was the initial deposit. Also I have 2 nights booked and paid for at Cabina el Castillo which was another $80. The deposit is so high because it is worked out on total cost of holiday, which was over £2000 because I have to pay a single supplementvas my partner won't fly.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is there?

How to proceed from this point is really up to you. It also depends on how much time you have scheduled at the RIU. Perhaps you could just stay a few nights and then move on.

Anyway -- hoping you will enjoy your Costa Rican vacation. It is an amazing country and I think you will love it.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Matapalo