We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Los Angeles
6 posts
Save Topic
Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

We recently rented a private home on Harbour Island and had a very bad experience worth sharing.

In June 2010 we rented a private home called SIX SHILLINGS on Harbour Island. After numerous communications between myself, the owner and the real estate company, we settled on Six Shillings because it was one of the few homes that advertised itself as having wireless internet service. With three working adults in our party it was important we stay connected with our offices back home. Additionally, the house was advertised as having air conditioning. What they failed to tell us - and what we didnt find out until we got to the island, is that they dont have a back up generator and the island is prone to numerous black outs or loss of electricity. As a matter of fact, the electricity was out when we arrived to the home so there was no air, no lights and no running water - a considerable inconvenience after flying for 8 hours, changing planes, taking a boat, cab and golf cart to get there! After 5 days of our 10 day stay we were at our wits end with the numerous black outs and called the real estate/rental office to complain. Island Realty was very nice at the time. They offered to move us into another home that DID have a generator, and told us the owner of Six Shillings was willing to refund our money for the unused portion of our stay AS WELL AS give us a partial refund for the 5 days we spent with intermittent electricity, running water, etc. Fast forward to 3 months later and the owners of SIX SHILLINGS decided to go back on their offer. They did refund our money for the unused nights but failed to refund us a dime for our 5 days in a house that didnt even have flushing toilets. Instead, they offered us 3 free nights for a future stay. I dont have time to go into detail here regarding the police report we had to fill out when we realized that money had been stolen from us while in that house - or the dirty dishes we found put away in the cupboards. Just be forewarned - the SIX SHILLING website doesnt exactly tell you the entire truth about the house or what it does or does not offer. Additionally, Island Realty acts only as an agent for the homeowner and is not an advocate for the renter. Rent at your own risk! OR CHECK OUT BRILAND VILLA - which was lovely and does have a back up generator. The caretaker of that home SAVED OUR TRIP.

Miami Beach, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Be cautious of renting on Harbour Island in Bahamas. There are many unsavory home and business owners which you do not find out until you arrive. Street crimes against tourists (robbery, burgularies, and rapes) are commomplace and the police ignore and cover up the complaints of foreigners. Service is crude and slow. The island also has power outages and blackouts daily and this is withheld from tourists until you arrive. There are many beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. The violence and dangers of Harbour Island far outweigh and overshadow the beautiful beaches.

Read about Harbour Island violence, rapes, and house burnings against tourists on the message boards at briland.com.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,499 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

I went to the site mentioned by zenith above.

There were very few message thread about

crime, etc. I've been to Harbour Island five

times and never felt unsafe anywhere on

the island. Zenith must be the type of person

who sleeps with locks on bedroom doors

and windows. I would be surprised if this

person ever visited Harbour Island.

Miami Beach, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Tigervette is the perfect example of the Harbour Island cover up. Harbour Island values tourist dollars more than tourist safety. If you are a victim of a machete attack in broad daylight robberies while you are in your room or nightly rapes on Harbour Island they bring out the Harbour Island cover up committee. Warning: read the message boards at briland.com thoroughly and be careful renting or visiting there. The poster Tigervette will not be there for you if you are attacked with a machete in broad daylight, robbed while in your room or raped like many tourists have been on Harbour Island. The Harbour Island police will do nothing and Tigervette will fault the tourist for crime against the tourist. Study the message boards thoroughly at briland.com before visiting and be cautious when visiting.

BTW Tigervette I am white and have visited Harbour Island several times. Locals hate white people but they love our tourism dollars.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

I'm not going to post what I really want to. Let's all go to South Beach!!! I'm showing some restraint in my older/wiser years...love all you Bahamas TA expert guys/ When I grow up I want to be a Bahamas expert. Sorry, I have to log off, before I get rapped, or my house burned down. Give me a break,,,,,,blank me.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Seriously, zenith. You have not offered any claim that can be verified. Other than slamming people that have visited the Bahamas. And if "tiger" is working for or employed by this country, I'm feeling better already..Please back up your facts, before making general comments that you have posted the last two days. By the way, I am not employed by TripAdvisor, the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, or any of it's agents. And I seriously suggest you not come to the Bahamas, as Tiger and I will be here to give you a tour.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Personally, I am always a little suspicious of new posters (these 4 in a row are the only for this person) who are vehement about a topic- sounds like he/she has a particular axe to grind. I don't work for any tourist boards or TA either, have made many trips to many of the out islands, love them, have always felt very safe there, have always been treated with the same respect I give the people who live there, am white and have never felt any racial animosity. Believe me, I am over 50 and grew up in Alabama in bad times- I know tension or hostility when it is there. I just wonder where this poster's hostility is coming from!!??

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Amen DNA, sorry I can't pull for the Crimson Tide (or Auburn) but good luck( except when your playing LSU). But we can agree on this one. Hope the coast is still looking clear. Really missing some of those great golf courses in your neck of the woods. Oh I'm sorry, not trying to offend anybody by using the phrase "neck". Time for another margarita, here on Cable Beach, cheers and have a great night!

Miami Beach, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

wwbev711's attitude proves my point. That is the attitude you will meet when attacked/robbed/raped on Harbour Island. Let's all go to south Beach!!! Tourists are safer in South Beach than in Harbour Island. Eight robberies in one week on a three mile island, do the math.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 05:37
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,499 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Gee, looking at the crime rate statistics for Miami

Beach where zenith lives, why would anyone want

to live in M.B., let alone visit there?

M.B. has a crime index of 1, 100 being the safest,

meaning that M.B. is safer than 1% of the cities in

the U.S.. The U.S. median crimes per square mile

is 49.6. In Miami beach there are 642/sq. mi.. If I

were zenith I would move to the Bahamas and

feel much safer.

neighborhoodscout.com/fl/miami-beach/crime/

I don't work for the Bahamas nor do I live there.

I don't work for TripAdvisor either. I am paid

nothing to be a Destination Expert. I write here

to help visitors enjoy their stays in the Bahamas.

I've been to the Bahamas ten times in the last

five years. Never have I witnessed any crime

while there nor have I ever felt unsafe anywhere

there.

Miami Beach, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Be forewarned regarding house rentals on Harbour Island

Miami doesn't cover up its ills. You're right, because you holiday in Harbour Island without incident does mean that all tourist victims of crime there are lying.

Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island
Recent Conversations