We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a golf cart?

Which Harbour Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need a golf cart?

We're planning to take the ferry from Eleuthera to Harbour Island. There will be two adults and two children. Do we absolutely need to rent a golf cart? Can we leave the ferry and get to Dunmore Town and back to the ferry without one? This is a one day trip.We are good walkers and want to take a large stroller with us on the ferry.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

You don't absolutely need a cart, but it is strongly recommended. The island is somewhat hilly. Additionally, with limited time on the island itself, you don't want to waste your time walking from place to place. Personally, I think you will regret not having a cart. Just a personal opinion.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

It's actually a water taxi, small boats, that leaves N. Eleuthera for Harbour Island unless you are talking about the Bahamas Ferry that stops at Spanish Wells on the way to H.I.. Depending on the time of year, it can be hot and humid. As the above poster said, there is a steep hill running down the backbone of H.I. from north to south making it a sweaty trek over to the beach on the east side of the island.

I highly recommend Michael's Cycles to rent a cart. He will meet you at the dock with your cart. I rented one from him five times on one day excursions after having a sweaty day on my first of six visits. You can call him for reservations at:

(242) 333-2384 home

(242) 464-0994 cell

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

Yes :) Save your walking for that beautiful long pink sand beach!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

Thanks for these helpful and quick responses. Where is Michael's in relation to the ferry and do you pay by cash or credit card?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

As I said above, Michael's has his carts waiting at the dock where the Bahamas Ferry arrives. His shop is a few blocks away from the dock. He takes cash, not sure about credit cards. Best to bring cash for this.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

We just returned from two amazing weeks on Eleuthera and Harbour Island. Definitely rent the golf cart. The kids will love it and you can cover a lot of ground with it. Michael does take credit cards.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

how much usually cost for rental golf car go around harbor island per day?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

i am traveling to Harbour island . I found that exchange currency other than US dollars is a bit difficult. I can't use my back card or debit card to withdrawal money from atm machine . What can i do properly ?

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

Golf Carts run around $45 -$55 dollars a day depending where you get them.

US dollars are taken everywhere in the bahamas. But exchange your $$ before you arrive.

You bank card should be accepted if it's VISA or MASTERCARD.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need a golf cart?

Traveladdiction_13 (great name!!!) -

I think you should check with your bank card companies (credit and debit) before you leave home - you should be able to use them. Do you have PIN #s for them? But just to be sure, do bring some American $ cash with you for the few places that don't accept credit cards.

Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island
Recent Conversations