We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock House or Coral Sands

Which Harbour Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rock House or Coral Sands

Torn between a stay at either the Rock House or Coral Sands for our first visit to Harbor Island,, I am aware that Rock House is not directly at the beach, but a short walk away... the reviews from Rock house sound wonderful with mixed on the Coral Sands ....if anyone is familiar with these places would love your input,,, we like the idea of a small intimate hotel with personal service, but would love the idea of staying directly on the pink sand beach,,,,it seems like a toss up....any suggestions would be appreciated, by the way, it is our 30th anniversary

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock House or Coral Sands

Firstly, congratulations on your forthcoming anniversary!

On the basis that you want an intimate hotel, I would go with the Rock House everytime. You will be spending most of your time on pink sand beach so I would not worry to much about not staying by it. One main advantage of being harbour side (ignoring the fantastic rooms, service etc of the RH) is the fact that you get glorious sunsets from that location (eg RH and Landing). Harbour side is far more alive than oceanside in the evenings as well IMHO.

That said, the pink sand beach is lovely early in the morning (not that early, we are talking HI here!) when there is no one on the beach other than the occasional resident jogger.

Also, with RH you have the benefit of having the Landing next door, so you can alternate your venue for sundowners etc. Despite a couple of poor reviews over the Xmas period, the food at the Landing has been consitently the best over the last four years I have been going to HI (the RH a close second).

Whichever hotel you choose, you are bound to have a great time, it is a lovely island. Whenever we go, we soon get into the routine of jog along the beach, breakfast, golf cart to beach, Sip Sip/Dunmore Deli for lunch, golf cart off beach at 4, shopping at Miss Mae's, Blue Rooster etc followed by drinks at the Landing and a chat with TJ, dinner and then doing the whole thing again...talk about relaxed!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
285 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock House or Coral Sands

i would recommend coral sands, being on the beach is just too convenient. we walked by rock house and it seems beautiful but i would be a little concerned with the long flight of steep steps up to the hotel. not sure if there might be a different entrance for hotel guests.

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock House or Coral Sands

On the steps point...access from the harbour is via steps but you can also access via a road from the back (and park cart there).

Vero Beach, FL
Level Contributor
101 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rock House or Coral Sands

The Rock House is a very chic hotel and beautifully done. The downside for me is it is part of a very active restaurant and does not offer much quietness until after hours unless you have one of the 2 rooms in the detached building. It has a lovely pool and cabanas along with it. Personally, I would go for CS. Either choice I would highly recommend a golf cart for transportation between town and beach. I find the action is definitely on the beach during the day, but after the sun goes down, I always prefer being closer to town. CS has done a nice job of redoing their rooms and areas. RH is done by a very well known NY decorator. Either way, you need to have dinner at RH one of the nights as it has fabulous meals. We always rent a home and enjoy eating at some of the excellent restaurants. Whatever you do, stay away from the meal plans offered as you want to be able to try them all out!

5. Re: Rock House or Coral Sands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 08:20
Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island
Recent Conversations