We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help about a LI vacation for a romantic relaxing week

NYCityboy
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help about a LI vacation for a romantic relaxing week

So, my wife and I are looking to go to Long Island in the spring. But we have a couple concerns. What is the best way to get to LI--fly 1) into Nassau and then LI, or 2) fly into Ft. Lauderdale then to Exuma and then to LI. In previous trips to other out islands we have always brought meat and our favorite foods with us to cook up but we always went the Ft Lauderdale approach to avoid going to Nassau and dealing with customs there. Going through Nassau seems the easiest way to get to LI, but is there a problem with bring meat through Nassau or will customs there not allow it? We have never tried going through Nassau customs because we have always heard that it was a nightmare. But getting to LI seems difficult without going through Nassau?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for rental houses in LI? Ideally, we would like a private, secluded house that is on a nice sandy beach with good snorkeling sites.

Any advice would be great.

Indiana
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help about a LI vacation for a romantic relaxing week

Check out this website - GetawayBahamas.com It seems to have most of the rentals I ran across while researching Long Island rentals. Not sure about the meat thru Nassau question. If it's not a problem at the smaller airports like Andros and Georgetown, I wouldn't think it would be at Nassau. Maybe you could post that question on the Paradise Island/Nassau forum. I think lots of people bring in food while staying at Atlantis.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help about a LI vacation for a romantic relaxing week

When we went to LI three years ago we had booked a flight out of FLL to LI on Bahamasair. We were flying to FLL out of Pensacola, an hour's drive from our home. When we got to the airport in P'cola we found out that BA had cancelled that flight (for good, maybe)that day and re-routed us through Nassau. We were not happy but there was nothing we could do and it all worked out ok. That is probably the only time I have ever gone to the out islands without an ice chest full of food because we were renting a house on the Stella Maris property and had opted for their meal plan since it did not sound like there were many places to eat out in the area and we had not planned on renting a car for the entire trip. It was a good decision and we had a great trip.

When we flew through Nassau this past April headed to Eleuthera we had no problems at all with our ice chest. We stayed overnight at Orange Hill Inn in order to make our connections and they put my icechest in their walk in freezer. I don't think I would worry about the ice chest and customs. If, however, someone can give you advice on flying to LI from Florida, I think I would check into it.

Have you looked at the Cape Santa Maria website for the villas they have? They seem to have some specials going on.

If I were to return to LI, which I think we will one day, I would consider renting a house called Goombay House. The pictures of the beach are not the pretty, flat CSM kind of beach but Atlantic beach with coral in many places; however, we found the snorkeling in that area to be very good so I would head there for that. We also loved the views and the sound of the crashing surf at night.

There are a few houses on VRBO and some of the real estate sites if you search. Happy travels!

3. Re: Help about a LI vacation for a romantic relaxing week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 20:38
Get answers to your questions about Long Island