We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Island compared to Eleuthera

Mass
Level Contributor
380 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Long Island compared to Eleuthera

Hi, choosing my next vacation destination and found Long Island! I have been leaning towards ELE, but I am having a hard time finding a great villa to rent. I found a villa that is perfect for my family called Osprey's Nest. Can someone please give me a quick run down on how ELE and Long Island compare? Are the beaches as nice as one another? Crime? Restaurants? Expense of travel from Northeast? Thanks so much!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

You won't be disappointed! Long Island is different from Eleuthera in that it is less developed and more unexplored. There are several hotels on the island as well as many rentals available, so there is no shortage of possibilities. The island is around 70 miles long, so renting a car for a day or two will cover the island easily. I am very partial to Long Island, having spent many years going back and forth, though I have also spent a fair time in Eleuthera as well. Beaches are similar -- though more wild and not developed as much, so lots of secluded spots as well as more central beaches on Long Island.

Crime is almost unheard of and certainly nothing to worry about in Long Island (or Eleuthera for that matter, though several incidents of late in Eleuthera have been reported.) Restaurants are plentiful in all parts of the island. Most are not fancy, but offer a good meal in laid back surroundings. At the risk of drawing ire from some of the Eleuthera fans, I find Long Island far more friendly less pretentious in a basic island lifestyle.

Travelling to Long Island from the NE is easy enough, though usually involves a change of plane in Nassau. If you are flexible in your dates, try to find a day when there are afternoon flights to Long Island (usually Wednesday and Friday) so you are not having to spend the night in Nassau (unelss you want to, that is) Someone was asking about Long Island flights a few days ago, and I posted a list of airlines and contact information, so have a look at older postings on this board.

Osprey's Nest is just south of Salt Pond settlement, which makes it easy access to either Stella Maris airport in the north, or Deadman's Cay airport in the south. Stella Maris may have a few more flight options than Deadman's Cay, including a direct link from Fort Lauderdale. The house is in a great location, though you will definitely want a rental car to get around, as it is not in the settlement itself.

If you have other questions, please post -- I'll be happy to help if I can.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

To make it easier, here is the copy of the posting I made in response to flights to Long Island. Costs are around $200 per person roundtrip from Nassau. If you are truly adventurous, you can try the overnight mailboat for around $70!

There are daily flights from Nassau to both Deadmans Cay (South Long Island) and Stella Maris (North Long Island). Bahamasair, Pineapple Air, Southern Air and Western Air fly, though I have found Pineapple Air to be the most reliable and pleasant. Bahamasair sells tickets, but do not actually use their planes to fly these routes -- they are Pineapple aircraft. Google the airlines for the websites, but Pineapple is www.pineappleair.com and they sell tickets online with pickup at the time of checkin.

There are also flights from Fort Lauderdale to Stella Maris direct which have recently started up. They are primarily freight, but offer passenger service as well. The company is Locair and their website is www.locair.net They only fly about 4 times a week, so this schedule may not work for you. The are also quite expensive, being the only game in town, but it could be better than two flights via Nassau and the wear and tear factor.

And as yet another option, depending on where you are staying, the Stella Maris Resort operates its own charter service with per seat charges which can be made to fit your schedule if the commercial flights don't work for you. There are also several charter companies available == Island Wings and Marty Fox are highly reliable and FAA certified with the aircraft regularly inspected and maintained in the US. His website is www.islandwingscharter.com

Hope this helps. Long Island is a magnificent place to explore!

Mass
Level Contributor
380 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice. LI sounds just what I am looking for. We went to TCI and found it too commercialized. I am still unsure, but I have a while to figure it out. Thanks again : )

ny
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

LI is slightly less developed/touristy than Eleuthera although Eleuthera is not much touristy either. I think both have great beaches. LI is slightly more safer as well. Eleu has had some recent crime but still is quite safe as compared to other islands including T&C. Neither are as developed at T&C. Both more scenic as well compared to T&C (I found LI to be quite pretty...) The water color is stunning on the caribbean side. Love them both and hard to pick.

New Providence...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

When are you travelling? You can get a direct flight to Eleuthra from south Florida and you can travel on Bahamasair to Long Island from south Florida connecting in Nassau. Long Islang is beautiful, relaxing and the people are very welcoming and always willing to help. It's my home town so if you have any more questions or need contacts just ask and I'll try to help. Must see Dean's Blue Hole, Columbus Monument, The Caves. A car is a must to get around because the island is long, but drive safely the roads are winding.

Mass
Level Contributor
380 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

Thank you solbeni, I may take you up on your offer! We are not traveling until next year so I have plenty of time to ponder. Good info thanks again : )

New Providence...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

You are quite welcome. The Monistry of Tourisam is also very helpful. But just drop me a line if you have any questions.

8. Re: Long Island compared to Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Long Island