We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

Wallingford...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

Dear Friends,

Our family of 8 is thinking of planning a trip to Cape Santa Maria in August. In the past we have always gone to Turks but thought we should try something new. We heard that the water is beautiful...but wondered how it compared to Turks. Is the water warm in August? Is the water rocky? Large waves?

Our family has always enjoyed the clear, warm waters of Turks...do you think we would be happy with Cape Santa Maria as well?

Thank you for your help,

Sara

Phillipsburg, New...
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

Try posting your question on the T&C forum.It gets alot more posts.I would be surprised if some of the regulars over there have not traveled to Long Island.The water in Turks is beyond blue!! So far its our favorite.I am looking to book CSM for this summer and hoping the water and beach is just as nice!!! For me its always about the water and the beach!!! :)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

We were there in July and the beach at Cape Santa Maria was the most picture perfect I have ever seen. I can't compare to T & C but it was more beautiful than any "sea" side beaches on Eleuthera and prettier than Negril Jamaica. The water was cool even in July. I can't imagine the water being rough unless there was a storm and definitely not rocky. The sand is super soft. There are reefs offshore (we dove at Falmingo Tongue reef).

Phillipsburg, New...
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

jungledriver- the water was cool in July??

we always travel in june & july and the water in the Bahamas & Turks has been warm!! i would guess close to 80!

surprised you say the water was cool??

hope its not too cool!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

It was a little cool but not too cool. I don't know what the actual temp was. Apparently the water is always a little cooler on the Exuma sound side, somthing to do with the gulf stream. It wasn't by any means warm like bath water. We did have to kind of ease in. I don't know, maybe it's just personal experience. We've been to Eleuthera twice in November and always wore shorty wetsuits on the exuma side. I noticed on our first trip that the Atlantic side felt a little warmer and the same could be said for Long Island when we were there in July. We did swim at Gordon's and Fords on the "sea" side in Long Island and I don't recall the water being as cool there as it was at Cape Santa Maria. It was so refreshing after the heat of July. That's all we did was stay in some part of the water or the pool at our rental. Loved it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

I'm also considering going to CSM as our next Bahamian trip. I've heard that it's one of the nicest beaches and water anywhere. The downside seems to be that there isn't all that much to do in Long Island other than CSM (compared to other islands). So, i want to make sure that we're ok with hanging out at CSM vs. exploring before making our decision. The pictures that i've seen of the beach look amazing and even more enticing than some of the other famous beaches in the caribbean.

ny
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

Hi, we've been to both. You will not be disappointed. The beach is spectacular. In my opinion better than Grace bay...no other hotels (except for the Capes beach bungalows) to distract from its natural beauty. It is on the top of our list and we've been to Turks, Anguilla, Eleu, Exuma, Bermuda, BVI etc. It is calmer than Grace bay and more shallow ie you can walk many yards and only be waist deep...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

Jimmy,

You would be surprised at how much activity there is to occupy your time. We spent a whole week and I never heard the dreaded "I'm bored" from our 2 kids. (And the only TV was in the lobby area!) We introduced my son to bonefishing & my daughter to kayaking the flats... there was so much territory to explore in the bay every day that they would be gone for hours. We never worried about them swimming together in the flat, calm water. There were bikes to explore the area around the Cape & long walks down the beach. We spent one morning reef fishing and brought the fish back for the restaurant to prepare for our dinner. Another day on the snorkel trip. One day we rented a car and drove to the Columbus monument and then south to explore the other part of the island.

Before we knew it, our week was over and our kids still count it as their favorite spring break of all time! We can't wait to go back!

8. Re: Cape Santa Maria compared to Turks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Long Island