We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

To say my husband and I had the most relaxing vacation ever while staying at Ryan's View in Miley on Long Island is an understatement! What a fabulous trip and outstanding home rental.

We had to fly on Bahamasair out of Fort Lauderdale on a Wednesday night to make a Thursday morning connection to Deadman's Cay. The flight was on-time with no problems. We spent a very short night at A Stone's Throw Away in Nassau; about a 5 minute drive from the airport, therefore very convenient for an early morning flight. I wish we had more time to spend there as it appeared to be a very nice boutique style hotel. It was dark when we got there and when we left early morning Thursday so we didn't get to see the oceanview but were able to hear it and imagine from our oceanfront balcony. Would definitely go back and spend a full day there in the future.

We were scheduled on the 7AM Southern Air flight from Nassau to Deadman's. As soon as we checked in, we were told that the flight was delayed to 8:30AM (wish we knew that back at hotel so we could've enjoyed our free breakfast and some coffee!). It seems as though they had already automatically put us on the later morning flight to Deadman's through Stella Maris. Not sure if that is the usual but just in case, I will definitely book the later morning flight next time!

We arrived at about 9:30AM in to Deadman's and Ingrid Knowles (Ryan's View's caretaker) met us at the airport to drive us to our car rental and to Ryan's View. She provided us with a wealth of knowledge regarding the island, it's beaches, markets, attractions, etc. We rented a vehicle from Winter Haven for $85/day and it was a 4x4 vehicle which was very helpful at some of the beaches we visited where the entrance path was pure sand. Ingrid was also able to procure some fresh lobster tails for us one night that were a good size and delicious!

Upon arrival at Ryan's View, we were pleasantly surprised with a complimentary nice bottle of wine and a jar of nuts. The home looks exactly as it does on Homeaway.com. The upstairs master bedroom is huge! The master bath had a ton of extra towels and I was pleasantly surprised by their size and softness. The bathroom contained a large variety of high end shampoos, conditoners and body lotions. A very nice touch! The second bedroom is on the first floor and has two twin beds and a bathroom shared by the first floor; it looked very comfortable but remained unused on this trip. The house is extremely accommodating and has all of the necessary appliances and ammenities that are needed while on vacation. The kitchen was full of everything we needed to cook at home; lots of spices, a big charcoal BBQ grill, large fridge and a George Foreman grill in case it's too windy to grill outside. We definitely put the Magic Bullet blender to good use! We enjoyed a soak in the hot tub EVERY DAY after returning from the beach. I thought it would be too hot but it was just what we needed after a long day in the sun.

The beaches (that we visited) of Long Island are unreal and mostly secluded! Our favorites were the pools at Desert Rose, Lochabar and Gordon's (all south of Deadman's Cay). The pools were just that; two naturally made pools of water that are perfect for soaking and swimming at any time. The water is so clear it's unbelievable! The snorkeling at the end of the main road to this beach is some of the best that we have ever done. My husband and I are both former Dive Instructors and we were blown away by the amount of live coral in pristine shape at this location. We saw several LARGE grouper of all varieties, rays, lots of tropical's, etc. The beach at Lochabar is also beatiful; white sand and water in about 50 shades of blue! There is a less explored, large blue hole on the southern end of this beach. When we arrived here on the first day, we must have seen over a dozen sea turtles swimming in front of the beach! By the time we got in the water they had moved on. This is a great beach for collecting sand dollars and sea biscuits (dead one's of course). My husband snorkeled the distance over to one of the cays across this cove (not a short swim) and was able to collect some salt which we have brought back and used every day. Gordon's is a soft and sandy beach with shallow water and great for kids. It was very calm and blue on the day we went and we saw a stingray feeding the entire afternoon that must have been about 4 feet across! A cool sight. We stopped by Dean's Blue Hole which is an incredible site. There was a freediving class from Vertical Blue taking place so we moved on to a more secluded beach that day. The beach in front of the house is also very nice. If you walk a few yards south, you are on some great sand and the water entrance is also soft and not so rocky. We visited a beach at the end of a random road in Millerton's which was a fun time. There is a large boat/vessel that appears to have crashed into the reef; we couldn't determine how long it had been there but it looks like it's been awile. The snorkeling there was very nice but we had a pretty strong current that day. There is a huge osprey nest at the top of the boat which must have a baby; the parents were circling and sqwaking at us for the entire time we were in the water and snorkeling around the boat. Not bad that the only other living creature we saw on the beach that day was a bird!

We drove up to the Columbus monument which was a neat site with incredible ocean views. That day, we also hoped to spend the afternoon at the beaches at Cape Santa Maria but did not find any public beach areas. The water color in that area is SOOOO blue that it looks fake! We wound up on Deal's Beach for the day which was nothing special in my opinion. The water was very warm and allowed for some premium soaking and enjoyment of a few Sand's Light! We had 9 days of fabulous sunny weather and were able to enjoy the Atlantic side beaches every day. We tried to visit Galloway Beach but it was really rough on the west side of the island during our stay.

Patrice, the home owner, was extremely helpful throughout the process of planning our trip. Making the reservation was simple and she was very responsive to our suggestions after the trip. We enjoyed meals at Rowdy Boy's (excellent conch chowder and lobster bisque) and Atlantic Hideaway (amazing cracked conch and very inexpensive). Max's Conch Bar in Deadman's Cay has the most delicious conch salad; I highly recommend it and will visit there for more dishes next time.

We spent a total of 9 days at Ryan's View and it was the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation we have taken in many years of visiting several other Bahamian Islands like Eleuthera, the Abacos and Cat Island. While each island is different, Long Island has easily become our favorite. It is very clean, the people are extremely friendly and the roads and infrastructure are surprisingly better than Eleuthera (in my opinion). We look forward to a return visit in Nov. 2011 to look for our own property to purchase on which to evenutally build a home as beautiful as Ryan's View!

FYI- when flying through Nassau, the entire international terminal is new. It actually looks like a real and modern airport! The check-in process and customs and immigration lines were still long but they had just opened the new terminal right before we arrived. Definitely makes the layover when returning to the states go by a little faster with the variety of restaurants and shopping!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

Thanks for the report!! Glad you had a great time. My husband and I can't wait to go back! We're planning an October trip to either Eleuthera, Long Island or possibly an out island we haven't been to yet.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

The house my wife and I are building in Miley is just being finished. We will be moving in early this summer. We made the decision to retire there 9 years ago, and bought the land and started working toward being able to build our dream beach cottage. Hopefully if you follow through with your plan, we will see you around Max's sometime. We try to stop in anytime we head up through Deadman's Cay.

ny
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

I smiled when I saw your statements regarding LI vs Eleuthera, infrastructure and buying property. Very closely ties with our experience. We have vacationed for a few years in the out islands and looked activley for property on eleuthera. One of the deals fell through and we then visited LI. It was love at first sight for my husband (I was still bummed about the eleuthera property falling through). We now own property on long island and are looking forward to building our family getaway in a couple of years.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

We also looked on Eleuthra....and then LI. No contest! We bought land 6 years ago and just finished construction....love it!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

Great trip report! Glad you enjoyed Long Island. It is certainly near and dear to us too. And thank you for not trespassing at Cape Santa Maria Beach. All those lots are private property and it is a hassle having people parking their rental cars in our driveways and stomping through our gardens to get to the beach with no respect or consideration for those who live there. There is access through the Cape Santa Maria Resort and for a price of a drink on the lovely outdoor patio, I doubt they would mind your walking the beach. It is indeed a lovely beach and such amazing colours too! Besides, in Bahamas law, all beaches are public from the sea to the high tide mark, so most of the time, it's just getting to the beach that is the issue!

Good luck with home buying and building. Only one bit of advice -- make absolutely certain the land you are buying has clear title. A common scam is people selling land they don't even own. And with the help of a crooked lawyer, people think the deal went through okay -- until the real owner shows up! That happens more than I'd care to think about. Always use a reputable local lawyer from one of the larger established firms.

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

Thanks for the information on purchasing land. We are headed back in November to look at some properties; of course in addition to some major R & R! nagm and DC10ad- where are your properties? Is there a real estate person that you dealt with that you would recommend? I've had some online communications with Charles Beede who has been very nice so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bonita Springs
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

Great review! I haven't been to Long Island yet and you made it sound really great. I really believe it's true what they say...It's really is better in the Bahamas.

Cheers!

Leesburg
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

My husband and I went to LI in Dec and decided that is where we would like to buy a piece of heaven. It is not a quick transaction and you just have to be patient with the laws of the Bahamas. I think of LI as the Mayberry of the Bahamas, everyone is so friendly and makes you feel wanted. Charlie helped us when we made our first trip to look for land so I would recommend him and he knows everything to get you started. Hopefully we will all meet up in paradise.

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

We are leaving for Long Island again in 17 days; not that I'm counting! I plan to contact Charles to see if he is available to meet with us while we're there. 10 days this time; we cannot wait to be there again soon!

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report & Review of Ryan's View Rental

1swtwld: My wife and I will be there from the 18th of November for 2 weeks. If you are staying at Ryan's again, stop by the the next house (it's coral, not pink) north on the beach and say hi. We just might be able to find a cold Kalik in the fridge.

Get answers to your questions about Long Island