We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question on staying at Winter Haven

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
question on staying at Winter Haven

We are planning our trip for January now and Long Island looks like a perfect place for us. Winter Haven has good reviews and looks to be the kind of place we like to stay at, small and personal, on the water with a pool. We're not the all inclusive resort type of travelers.

The thing I am having trouble figuring out is food. I know the rooms at Winter Haven don't have a fridge or microwave, they have a restaurant which looks good. But are there other places near the inn to eat?

Also will we need to rent a car for the whole week or is Winter Haven near enough things that we can walk or just grab a cab. I'm figuring we'll want to explore a few days and get a car for that, but not sure we need it the whole week.

Thanks for any advice

Ali

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question on staying at Winter Haven

Are you thinking of the Winter Haven in Florida - or the one by the same name on Long Island in the Bahamas?

If so, your post has gone to the Long Island in the Bahamas.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question on staying at Winter Haven

The Bahamas, I said Long Island in my post :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: question on staying at Winter Haven

Winter Haven and the Rowdy Boys restaurant is in Clarence Town, right by the Flying Fish Marina. While it is the government seat, like much of Long Island, it isn't that close to anything else but the marina. Each settlement on the island has it's own points of interest. Renting a car for the time you are there is highly recommended. The only time we didn't was when we stayed at Stella Maris with everything included, and even then we rented for a couple of days to do some exploring. We have stayed at Whistling Duck Cottage the last 3 times, just south of Clarence Town and still on the lagoon, and having a car was a necessity.

There are too many neat exploration trips to take. You don't want to miss stopping at Max's Conch Bar (hope that Liz is cooking some stuffed breadfruit or minced crayfish that day - yummm). Snorkeling at Dean's Blue Hole, or just swimming and lying on the beach at Gordon's, having an ice cold Kalik on the hill above Thompson's Bay at Sou Side, or a sunset dinner at Atlantic Hideaway. There's a lot to miss out on if you don't have wheels.

My wife and I will be back there over Thanksgiving, but now for the first time we have our own beach house to go to, and our own car there. This will be our first trip back since the house was finished. We feel blessed that we have this place, and that Irene left it intact for us to enjoy. Our plan is that by this time next year we will be living there.

Mentioned in this post
Clarence Town
Clarence Town
Long Island
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question on staying at Winter Haven

Thank you so much, that helps a lot

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
884 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question on staying at Winter Haven

Alicyn,

Looking forward to your trip report!

I ate at Rowdy Boys last February - awesome conch soup!!!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question on staying at Winter Haven

My trip report is posted. We had a great time.

Ali

7. Re: question on staying at Winter Haven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Long Island