We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry On and Pineapple Air

Northern VA
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Carry On and Pineapple Air

Hello:

We have a flight booked on PA. I read through the carry-on info on the website. It states that you are allowed one carry on, but does not mention something the size of a back pack. Has anyone taken one aboard during their travels? We normally have a carry on each(back pack) and a snorkel bag each when flying other airlines. I'm guessing that we will have to forfeit the snorkel bags and rent fins while on Long Island. Would anyone know a good spot to rent some fins for the week?

Thanks much,

S.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island
Long Island
84 Reviews
Long Island
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

The backpacks are fine. You are allowed one carry on per person.There are no overhead bins and limited space under the seat, so there really is not much room inside the plane. (you have to bend over just to get inside, as the head room is low) Some people do bring carry on roll-on bags, but they must be gate checked once reaching the aircraft.

Will the backpacks fit inside the snorkel bags? If so, then that can be your carry on, which you will need to gate check at the stairway.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

Thanks much Dusty-Traveller.

Unfortunately, the backpacks won't fit inside the snorkel bags. Actually, the snorkel bags are not much larger than a set of fins.

Your last comment about gate checking...Does that mean that they will check to ensure that your carry on (in my case my backpack) is of an appropriate size before allowing you on the plane?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

Haven't flown Pineapple yet but I would imagine the system is the same as Southern Air. We flew Southern to Deadman's Cay and had a camping backpack with our snorkel gear and some clothes (in case our large suitcase got lost). Snorkel gear: 2 masks, 2 snorkels, 2 sets of full fins and booties. We even had our masks in the hard case they come in from the dive shop. The back pack was a carry-on for the US-NAS flight and then Southern checked it at the counter along with our large wheeled suitcase. Our carry-ons were large purse and insulated shouder bag with some frozen meat inside.

So our CLT-NAS flight was for me, large purse and food bag were my carry-ons and for hubby it was the backpack. Then a large checked bag.

NAS-Deadman's Cay was the same but they checked both the backpack and large suitcase. The others we held at our seats.

Hope this helps. You really should try and take your gear, I don't know anywhere that rents it. Go out on a snorkel trip with Stella Maris, reefs are amazing. Great shore snorkeling too when the water is calm.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

I agree with taking your snorkel gear as it may not be easy to find on-island and will largely limit you to going on guided trips if you use their equpiment. Take it with you, then don't be afraid to check them if needed. As I've said, security really doesn't care what you take through, just that it fits into the xray machine. Take it with you, and if it does not fit into the plane, they will take it from you on the tarmac and put it in the back luggage hold. Then you claim it as you would regular luggage when you get there (which is on a high-tech wooden luggage cart!!)

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
884 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

Thanks Dusty - I too plan to do carry on only Denver Charlotte Nassau and then surrender the roller bag when I check in for the Nassau Deadman's Cay leg on Pineapple air. That's what I did on Bahama's air - It worked just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Northern VA
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

Once again, many thanks to everyone. I truly appreciate the advice and guidance.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

Sandydrawers, I am glad you asked this question as I was wondering the same thing. I have a small purse and a camera bag with all my camera equipment. The camera bag is not large so I am hoping I can carry it on.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

Whichever bag they check on Pineapple at the gate, it will just be put in the cargo hold, then when you get to Long Island it will be put on a wagon and wheeled to the terminal with the other checked luggage. It will basically never really be out of your sight. This isn't like a big airport here in the states.

At Deadman's Cay, and even at Nassau, the luggage for Pineapple Air is moved on a handcart - there isn't even a motorized tractor to pull it. It tends to be better treated than at many US airports.

There is a small cargo area secured by a net at the front of the cabin for larger carryons. I take my camera gear and laptop in a backpack, and I always just stow it there when I get on board. Space is quite limited so don't try to overload it (meaning please only take one bag on board with you) or someone will get squeezed out.

I don't see how gate checking your snorkel gear would be a problem. I've dived in many places, as far away as the Philippines, and never had a problem with checking my dive bag. I make sure I have my mask in its storage container. for protection, but the rest of the stuff travels quite well.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 06:51
Mentioned in this post
Long Island
Long Island
84 Reviews
Long Island
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

Thanks Preeb for the advice on the camera gear. Forgot to add that I plan on stuffing my purse in the husbands backpack. Didn't plan on being a space hoarder :)

At Charlotte airport right now waiting to head into Nassau!

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry On and Pineapple Air

My husband and I are traveling to LI in less than two weeks. We also travel light so we don't usually bring our snorkel gear. I asked around and found a place that rents. Anyone familiar with Reeldivers at Grotto Bay? Its in Salt Pond, near where we will be staying.