We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Exuma or Long Island

Kentucky
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great Exuma or Long Island

We loved Long Island last year and thought it was absolutely beautiful. We never go to the same place twice but our trip was cut short due to the Hurricane and I feel like is pulling us back. I was thinking of Turks (Provo) since we will have our 17 month old and it would be easy. However, we despise buildings on the beach so I have moved to Great Exuma (can't do the cays with our baby). My husband would like to go back to LI (CSM) or stay somewhere else. Has anyone been to Great Exuma? Will we be disappointed in the beaches compared to Long Island? We like to walk out of our room and be on a great beach like CSM but I love the idea of getting a boat rental in Exuma. We would love to do Staniel Cay but not with a 17 month old. Any suggestions on the beaches on Great Exuma compared to Long Island? Thanks so much for any help!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Exuma or Long Island

Hi Krissy00, I have been to all three of the places mentioned and love them all for different reasons. I think your best bet if your looking for a beach like the one at Cape Santa Maria on Long Island would be Grand Isle Resort in Exuma. It is located on Emerald Bay which is another beautiful beach. This would be farther out from Georgetown and you would not be able to dock a boat at Grande Isle, but you could still rent one for the day. When we visited Emerald Bay, the water was calm and stunning however I am not sure if it is always like this and with a small child this may make a difference. Cape Santa Maria's beach was one of the calmest I have encountered.

You will not be disappointed with the beaches in Exuma. They are amazing. I don't really think you could go wrong with any of your choices.

ny
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Exuma or Long Island

Agree with the above. We have been to all three. The beaches on Great Exuma are comparable to LI. We stayed at Feb point on Great Exuma which is not directly on a beach but you can dock your own boat there. I think the location is more central but if you want to be directly on a beach then go with Emerald Bay.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Exuma or Long Island

Krissy- does it have to be a hotel or resort or are you willing to rent a house where you can walk right out on a gorgeous beach? If so, do some research on Exuma and I bet you will find something that suits you !!

4. Re: Great Exuma or Long Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Long Island