We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

Monticello, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

My husband and I are thinking of flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Long Island on Choice Air. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

According the minutes of the last Long Island Chamber of Commerce meeting, Choice Air is no longer flying to Long Island. And there was also an announcement that Bahamas Air has closed their desk at Stella Maris. It appears that Deadman's Key is going to be the main airport on the Island.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

Any news on Sky Bahamas flights to LI? Looks like it's getting harder and harder to get there. We are hoping to find a direct route from Georgetown this summer but are prepared to go through Nassau if the charter options don't work out.

Monticello, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

Thank you so much for the update! Last year we lost our prepaid ticket money when the shared charter we were taking from Ft. Lauderdale to Eleuthera went out of business. We really like bringing our own supplies and avoiding Nassau so it looks like we'll be back to Staniel Cay (and a great place to be!)

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

Sky Bahamas is still working out the plan, but they are still definitely intending to start service to Long Island, to both Stella Maris and Deadman's Cay. Southern Air still stops at both airports too. My wife's sister just came in on Southern yesterday afternoon, right on time.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

""Thank you so much for the update! Last year we lost our prepaid ticket money when the shared charter we were taking from Ft. Lauderdale to Eleuthera went out of business. We really like bringing our own supplies and avoiding Nassau so it looks like we'll be back to Staniel Cay (and a great place to be!)""

Too bad you impose those restrictions on yourselves. You are missing out some great experiences.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

The last info I got was that Choice was starting up again March 2. They were down for maintainance. We will see. There is also a company out of FLL called Caribbean Breeze that flies, but pretty sure it is a charter.

Willow Grove
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

Choice Air, an affiliate of RCCL....correct? If you are going on a cruise, save yourself some aggravation and DON'T book through them unless you are the proactive type and check your flights using the airlines website on a daily basis as we did. Months prior to our Feb 2013 cruise, our original flight changed...Choice Air never notified us and 2 days before our scheduled flight Delta changed our flight due to the weather and CHoice Air NEVER contacted us--we instead noticed in Delta's site that we would get at the dock several hours after the ship was to depart(we would have been in the group that had to meet the Eclipse in Aruba). Choice Air's rep did help us change the flight after we offered to leave from BWI instead of our original flight from PHL. While driving to Baltimore, we realized that the CHoice Air rep never gave us new return flights and we would land in PHL while our car would be in BWI,.... I had to call US Air myself to change the return flight. If you use CHoice Air you must be proactive and check the airlines websites and manage your own flights with regularity. Don't count on Choice Air to contact you if there are any changes. We might as well have booked our own flights, when last minute deviations arose we were the ones who redialed and waited for US Air to help! (when we got home their were no voicemails or emails from Choice Air saying that they were trying to contact us)

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

All I can say is trying to use Choice to avoid a change in Nassau is taking a chance on not arriving at all. I've not spoken to anyone who travels regularly to Long Island who would take that risk. There are more dependable options.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

And Choice just cancelled their flights again. I wouldn't risk it. But keep checking with SkyBahamas!

10. Re: Experience with Choice Air from Ft. Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Long Island